business and technology for China (educational interests and goals - UMN)

zealzou 11 / 54  
It's not a personal statement, but stating "educational interest", see the prompt:
university of Minnesota:In English, describe your educational interests and goals, educational background, special interests, and plans for when you return to your home country. Please include an explanation of why you would like to study the major you have selected.

Since my junior years, I have been thinking of starting a technology related business. To achieve this goal, I will need knowledge of advanced science and technology and what is more, the skill of business management. My goal is to first become an expert in my field and then transform this knowledge into a business. To achieve this goal, I am applying to engineering college and Business College of the University of Minnesota, which has prestigious engineering and business management programs.

"Science and technology are the primary productivity", Mr. Deng Xiaoping's words reflected the importance of scientific knowledge in our education. As Chinese pay a lot of attention to basic education, we have been learning science since grade 2 in elementary school and have laid a solid academic foundation. In the society, scientists and engineers own highest reputation. Influenced by the tradition, I am good at physics and enjoy using abstract knowledge to create real new objects and machines. From that time I have planned to design a solar power panel using the simplest function about "specific heat", though quite a naïve solution.

Moreover, engineering-related activity also spurred my interest. In high school I participated in Climate Cool, a program launched by British Council in order to raise people's awareness of Climate change. I played the role of an engineer for the first time when I was building a system which collects water and irrigated the plants of a "roof-top garden".

First designing the device according to physics principles, then drawing blueprint, discussing with my instructors, and at last turning the blueprint into real pipes and panels, I was extremely excited in the process. However, my dream is not just to become a technician. I want not only to devote my self to using technology to make new products, but also to lead others who have the same dream and aspiration as me. To achieve this, the knowledge of business management will also be indispensible.

Maybe I will continue my education in graduate school after college for further study in order to be stronger in knowledge in my field, but finally I will of course return to China, my home country. China is now developing at a fast pace, and the country is in need of fresh and advanced ideas and technologies which I will bring back from abroad. Upon my return, I will first use my technical knowledge in a specific field to work for a few years, while developing my own ideas independently. At appropriate time when the chance of turning these ideas into reality comes, I will then try to start my own business. My education at University of Minnesota will be the pivot to raise my childhood dreams up in the future.

How many words should I write in such a statement?

Please review, thank you!
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  

If they don't give you a limit, you don't have to worry about that.

I worry that this statement is too vague. In answer to the question, you essentially say only that you want to study engineering and business so that you can invent something and make money from it. I thought we were getting somewhere when you described your excitement in participating in the Climate Cool contest but, no, you were not heading towards telling us that you are interesting in the burgeoning new field of green engineering. But, no. So: Try to be more specific about the type(s) of engineering/technology that interest you.
OP zealzou 11 / 54  
Thanks.
so I have to be claer about what field I am going to study in? I am filling my intended major "unintended" amd I am not quite sure to take EE, or BE, or CE...Maybe I can refer to something details in my experiment.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
No, you don't have to specify your major field of study, but it would be good if you could give some sense of your interests beyond the very vague "technology" -- which includes everything from tiny microchips to huge hydroelectric dams.
OP zealzou 11 / 54  
Thanks, I know, I will provide some more specific examples, like hte "solar power panal", etr...

Home / Undergraduate / business and technology for China (educational interests and goals - UMN)