Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"You cannot buy a heart at Wal-Mart!" - Princeton significant person

jjmagic7 1 / 1  
please help me edit this. I am open to any suggestions

"You can not buy a heart at Wal-Mart!" After falling to oh and seven on the season my freshman basketball team got more than just an inspirational speech from the varsity coach, Travis Jones. He shrieked at us for having no heart and that it is not something that can be purchased, but rather something one is either born with it or must find it within oneself. If I had not played on the freshman basketball team and heard Coach Jones's negation of popular belief that anything can be bought at Wal-Mart I am simply not sure where I would be today. We were tyrannically ordered out of the gym and apprised not to come back until we obtained heart.

After that day I perused back through my life trying to decipher where I went wrong. He was right; I had no heart. After that night I concluded to change that about myself. I concluded to find the heart that I knew I possessed somewhere deep within myself and put it into everything I undertook. I decided that I would begin anew. I would put my full and utmost effort into everything I attempted. For example, maybe the pre-Coach Jones me would have been content with my SAT scores from my first test instead of diving into the studying with my new found heart and challenging myself to achieve the best scores I possibly could. Maybe the pre-Coach Jones me would have been content taking honors courses instead of challenging myself with numerous advanced placement courses. Maybe the pre-Coach Jones me would have been content on achieving membership to honor societies and clubs instead of craving to hold leadership positions. Not a day passes without me musing over the disparities my life would have had had I not been a part of that freshman basketball team.

Well, the next day we all arrived to the gym apprehensively hoping upon hope that we at least had a façade of heart so we would not get kicked out of the gym again. That day was one of the toughest in my life. We practiced for five hours, first with varsity, then with JV, and finally by ourselves. It all paid off and we won the next game in overtime with me scoring fifteen points during just the fourth quarter and overtime. At first we all just wanted to simply make it appear as though we had heart but by the end of that notorious practice that we still recall to this day Coach Jones had assisted us in finding heart within ourselves, something that I certainly will carry with me to college and throughout life.

Home / Undergraduate / "You cannot buy a heart at Wal-Mart!" - Princeton significant person