From Calculus 12 to literature interpretation; my mind was always wide awake in English class.

digestadonut 3 / 10  
Yale Essay-Reflect on a time when you felt genuine excitement learning about something

In grade 11, I challenged myself to take Calculus 12, and eventually realized that I simply wasn't that enthusiastic about mathematics. On the other hand, my mind was always wide awake in English class.

I sat on the edge of my seat and tried to absorb as much as I could from class discussions. I loved it when our the teacher shared his/her own interpretation but still told us that we could disagree and have our own opinions (provided that we could support it, of course). I remember poring over 1984 late into the night, shivering with excitement as my mind came up with new theories about the themes and messages that Orwell had conveyed throughout the novel. I was so fascinated by the ideas and concepts explored in 1984 that I immediately read Animal Farm as well.

This was a subject area that I was truly passionate about. Over the years, I have studied more and more books, in and out of English class. A good piece of work has never failed to truly inspire me and There was no one right way to interpret literature, and to me, that is the most beautiful part.

The word limit was 200 words and I currently have 197. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
speechhopeful 1 / 12 1  
" me and There was no one " make the T lowercase, and put a comma after the me. I know you honestly weren't that excited about mathematics, but I don't think you should necessarily mention that. Typically better to be 100% positive about yourself instead.
Shraf39 2 / 6 1  
@digestadonut
I would also want to say for the last sentence, instead of saying "there was no one right way to interpret literature" maybe you can say " there was no such thing as a correct way of interpreting literature"

Hope that helps :)
OP digestadonut 3 / 10  
@speechhopeful

I was also wondering about whether or not to mention the math part. I was trying to do the show-your-weaknesses thing. But maybe not. Thanks you and Happy Holidays!

@Shraf39

Yes, I think that is a better idea too.

Thanks for the help and Happy Holidays!

Home / Undergraduate / From Calculus 12 to literature interpretation; my mind was always wide awake in English class.