'called on in my Theory of Knowledge (TOK)' - Stanford intellectual vitality

muznaa23 4 / 15  
Stanford students possess an intellectual vitality. Reflect on an idea or experience that has been important to your intellectual development.

This is due in 1 hr! please help if you can! does it make sense?

As I waited to be called on in my Theory of Knowledge (TOK) class, I quietly thought to myself if my answer was really mine: Did I personally believe that lying was never okay, no matter what the circumstances or what it just a result of being taught not to lie for years. I firmly decided that "No! That's not what I believe." When it was my turn to speak I justified my answer in accordance to my beliefs and not my parents'. My parents have done a great job of molding my values and shielding me from the "ugly truth"-so to speak. They instilled cultural and religions values in me and I blindly accepted them. I never once stopped to think and look into what I was being taught.

After taking TOK for one semester my outlook on many of my beliefs began to shift. Reading articles from The New Yorker or the Los Angeles Times in class introduced me to new perspectives on the values I had been instilled with: I was forced to question what I had been taught as a child. Daily, we discuss moral obligations and situations that I never thought I would be involved in or questions that seemed to have obvious answers but don't. Pondering upon these questions compels me to go back and reevaluate my belief system. Through TOK, I feel I am more prepared for a college life, where I won't be shielded from any harsh reality like I am now. My experience in TOK gives me the confidence to be able to change what I believe and be accepting of other perspectives. I am beginning to form my own belief system, not the one I had been brought up with but the one I am going to live with for the rest of my life.
yuanyuan3045 6 / 23  
Did I personally believe that lying was never okay, no matter what the circumstances?O r what it just a result of being taught not to lie for years?

I firmly decided that "No! That's not what I believe."

It's unclear what's not your belief.

I think you should expand on that particular experience at TOK, like what the question was, how you answered it, it was all to vague.

obvious answers but complicated implications .

Good luck! if you have time, read mine? It's okay if you don't, I know it's due soon.
adkh14 2 / 4  
Be more specific about how what you learned in TOK was important to you. Personally, I think TOK just makes you question generally everything in life, but it teaches you to think and analyze more specifically and accurately. It looks good so far, good luck

Home / Undergraduate / 'called on in my Theory of Knowledge (TOK)' - Stanford intellectual vitality