Calm melting pot of culture and intellectualism / "Why Boston?"

jfloyd1879 4 / 10  
In no more than 250 words, please tell us why BU is a good fit for you and what specifically has led you to apply for admission?

Growing up in a small town, I've long craved for the fast-moving blur of opportunity found in big cities. By adapting to the conditions of my home town I will be able to apply my learned resourcefulness to the torrent of prosperity found in a thriving city like Boston. For quite some time I've been drawn to idea of attending college in a large city like NYC. This quickly changed when I started learning about Boston, which has everything I valued in NYC but much more. I find the existence of a college community and vibrant neighborhoods found within the populous city to be very appealing and unique. While NYC seems to be maelstrom of activity, the calm melting pot of culture and intellectualism found in Boston makes it my ideal choice. Being a top location for international students and having 16,000 undergraduates, Boston's multicultural landscape excites me for the opportunity to immerse myself in such a diverse college community. My burning desire to learn from other cultures would be fulfilled if I were to attend Boston University, and with such a premier study abroad program I would have the connection necessary to attain my dreams of studying amidst a different culture. The CAS Core Curriculum, BU Dual Degrees, and rigorous academics all drive me to pursue my educational career at BU, and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment o commit myself to this institution in order to better both myself and fellow students.
snibberbit 4 / 11 2  
I think your essay is good but I feel like it might be able to apply to any city, not just Boston. And the essay is about why BU, not just why Boston. You did discuss why BU a little at the end but maybe talk a little more about the school specifically. Also, I don't think it is a good idea to compare NYC to Boston. Just talk about what you love about Boston. The comparisons are kind of vague whereas you could use the characters from your comparisons to talk about what is in Boston that you like. I think your essay is good but it could be made great if you add more specifics. Then they won't think that you could use this essay for almost any big city school.

Ideas:
I don't know if you're into history but Boston has a large historical factor that dates back to the colonial days - could be interesting - a great deal to learn

Many internship opportunities with large companies such as...you could list some that have to do with your major choice
I don't know if you're into sports but you could talk about BU and sports found in Boston. Maybe find some BU opportunities that allow you to go out into Boston - opportunities that couldn't get at another Boston school or in another city

You could talk about how BU students are highly motivated and how that is a great environment to be apart of in college - you know you will learn a lot

You don't have to take any of these suggestions if you don't want! :) I hope I helped!

Could you maybe take a look at mine?

Home / Undergraduate / Calm melting pot of culture and intellectualism / "Why Boston?"