Caltech application: An ethical dilemma ( Slapping students )

ali_cheif 6 / 13  
In Iran, although the numbers are dropping dramatically, physical intimidation and sometimes confrontation is still considered by the school staff as disciplinary methods. I myself have never been subject to such methods and until recently I had only witnessed a few minor pushes or debates between staff and the students, but that changed on May of 2010.

It was around 07:30 A.M. and I was as usual, organizing my study desk in the school library to meet my needs for the day when I suddenly heard yelling and screaming and just as I looked out into the yard I saw the school principal slapped one of my classmates very hard in the face. The rest of my friends stormed into the yard. We were all shocked. I know I was.

My classmate the " Slappee ", immediately ran out the door.

The next day I saw my classmate come in accompanied by both his parents and went straight into the principals office. After about thirty minutes the principal rushed into our classroom and angrily asked " Did any of you see me slap this kid?!" . The room went silent. Every body was scared that if they said anything their grades would be in danger. He smiled and said to the boys parents " See, your boy is simply trying to attract your attention." And just as he was leaving I stood up and said " Yes sir."

Please be critical.
mbanani 8 / 26  
1. we seem to be applying to the same universities.
2. I like the idea of your essay, how you structured it like the slap was a crime (07:30 AM) and i really like the ending. I am not sure about that but i think i should consider adding what happened after than and how you felt. I am not sure wether it would affect the ending or not, your call.
OP ali_cheif 6 / 13  
I would love to continue but I can only write 1300 characters.

Home / Undergraduate / Caltech application: An ethical dilemma ( Slapping students )