Caltech Engineering/Math/Science Essay

Katlynedwards 8 / 21  
Prompt: Interest in math, science, or engineering manifests itself in many forms. Caltech professor and Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman(1918-1988) explained, 'I'd make a motor, I'd make a gadget that would go off when something passed a photocell, I'd play around with selenium'; he was exploring his interest in science, as he put it, by 'piddling around all the time.' In a page, more or less, tell the Admissions Committee how you express your interest, curiosity, or excitement about math, science or engineering.

Each and every time I open up my laptop, I receive a feeling of pure joy. As an only child in my family, I grew up having to find ways to entertain myself while my parents were busy working. I usually found consolation in technology, whether it be on my parents' old Windows DOS machine, or playing games on my GameBoy color. For this reason, I found that working with technology, more specifically computers, is like a second nature. Everything, from installing a new operating system to using one of the many Microsoft Office programs, makes sense to me.

I learned how to code simple batch files and basic HTML websites over school breaks, typing up each project that strayed into my mind. Last year I discovered Linux and the endless opportunities it provided me. I began to incorporate the knowledge I gained through taking calculus, chemistry and physics at my town's local community college into my side projects and ideas. I soon decided that I want to build programs that can graph complex equations, solve kinematics equations, and balance chemical equations.

I want to use my classroom knowledge to modify and build software that families will use on a daily basis. I'd like to create a program that combines the properties of Wolfram's Mathematica and other software into one program, but with a more intuitive and easy-to-use language. Coding, whether for software, a website, or a simple batch file, is both a tedious and rewarding task. The feeling of completion when everything works perfectly, or the perseverance and struggle when you discover an error, are what makes this job rewarding.

I realize that I still have a lot to learn. To delve deeper into the world of coding and how applications work is to truly understand. With this in mind I hope to one day become a successful software engineer.

So, I haven't gotten very far mostly because I keep hitting blocks. I know that I want to talk about my love for math (I've even taken courses like Calculus I and II at my town's local community college) and for science (I took AP Biology at the HS, and Chem I, II and III, and planning to take Physics I, II and II at the community college).

I really kinda suck with transitions which is mainly why I can't move on from my first paragraph on computers.

Any help would be appreciated! I'll review your essay if you review mine :D
jaewonhannahlee 1 / 4  
I usually found consolation in technology, whether it wasbe my parents' old Windows DOS machine, or playing games on my GameBoy color. For this reason, I found that working with technology, more specifically computers, is like a second nature to me. Everything just makes sense, whether it's installing a new operating system, or just using one of the many Microsoft Office programs (I find this sentence structure a little repetetive. Suggestion: Everything, from installing a new operating system to using one of the many Microsoft Office progrmas, makes sense to me.) .

so far, your essay looks pretty good!
OP Katlynedwards 8 / 21  
Thanks!

I've incorporated your essays and added another paragraph to the end... Still working on it though!

Suggestions/comments are appreciated!
jaewonhannahlee 1 / 4  
intuitive and easy to use language.

easy-to-use language

Maybe write about how you have shown your interest in becoming software engineer. like, an anecdote about a time when you actually designed a software?

This is just an idea! (=
OP Katlynedwards 8 / 21  
Thanks :)
I haven't actually coded / designed software yet...Something I'm really looking forward to! But I've coded Batch files and a website? I'm not sure if that would relate or not?
darkwaffle 3 / 5  
coding a website is similar to programming, but I'd recommend you take some basic CompSci lessons before you start Caltech.
OP Katlynedwards 8 / 21  
I plan to take a bunch over the summer :) My school has pretty limited opportunities with respect to computers.

I learned how to code HTML and batch files on my own time, and am currently working with Linux systems and becoming more familiar with their terminal.
OP Katlynedwards 8 / 21  
Okay, here's the next revision of my essay. Any comments/ideas are welcome.
This is great. I think the last para needs to be developed a little more, and also, you might develop the overall idea some more by discussing some places you might want to work, or some of your own creative projects you want to do. Then, make a connection between your specific goals and the resources at this school. Your writing is already very good, so just complete the theme by looking to the future, near and far... with SPECIFIC plans.

Home / Undergraduate / Caltech Engineering/Math/Science Essay