Caltech studens have quirky sense of humor - technology maniac!

shreygupta 1 / 1 1  
Please help me review and edit my essay for Caltech
Prompt:-
Caltech students have long been known for their quirky sense of humor, whether it be through planning creative pranks, building elaborate party sets, or even the year-long preparation that goes into our annual Ditch Day. Please describe an unusual way in which you have fun. (200 word max)

Response:-
Technology has always fascinated me. It has provided us with more ways to have fun than to work. And the best part, is that those who do not understand it deeply, are the easiest targets to play pranks on. I generally have fun messing around with people's gadgets and pretending that someone has broken them. Then I would come to their rescue and fix their gadgets in return for respect and awe.

One such time, when my friend and I were playing a game on his laptop, and his mother (whom I had requested to do so) called him, I replaced the game shortcut with a file programmed to reboot the computer. When he came back, he tried starting the game, but the computer just restarted. But the funny part is that he after trying for some time, he gave up, and instead of getting frustrated, just started playing another game.

I couldn't let my master plan fail, so I asked him to play the previous game, but he replied that he was bored with it and not going to play it. In the end, I had to reveal my plan and both of us shared a hearty laugh.
Shrey, the prank that you are talking about is not really as successful as it should be. The reason that is so is because the person involved decided to giver up on the game instead of continuing ti play the game. I am not sure if the end result of the program you planted was just the constant rebooting of the program, is that what it is supposed to be? I have to tell you that the end result, his giving up, isn't exactly the funny prank that it should have been because he decided to give up on playing the game.

A successful prank would have been if, since the computer kept on rebooting, he decided to either run an analysis of the system, then find the plant that you made, or he decided to keep looking for the source of the problem to no avail. Then you could have revealed what you did and gotten the laugh that you sought for. The way your prank ran was too forced through so it isn't really successful in terms of pranks. Is there any other humorous prank that you can consider for this essay? One where the elements that I described above existed in its implementation :-)
OP shreygupta 1 / 1 1  
thank you for the suggestion!! I was also thinking that the response is too dull. I will think of something else.
Thanks once again!!

Home / Undergraduate / Caltech studens have quirky sense of humor - technology maniac!