I came from a big family consist of six brothers and 5 sisters ; PERSONAL STATEMENT

undergrad15 1 / -  
I came from a big family consist of six brothers and 5 sisters (one parents surprisingly). In Philippines, it is not unusual to have such a big family. Due to this circumstance, my parents could not afford to raise some of us. I was raised by my relatives; usually I hop from relatives to relatives. For this reason, my childhood wasn't a very pleasant one, one that a person can day dream and wished they were child again. All that I have ever wished when I was a child was to grow up already and see the world outside our small rural town where the main occupation is either farming or fishing. Although I grew up fortuneless, it did not stop me from dreaming and becoming ambitious. I have, never once, doubted that I can still be whatever I want to be.

I considered myself "grown-up" as soon as I turned 14. Because I labored my tiny and malnourished body up earning my living since 8 years old, I was able to stash some cash for that very day I become grown-up. I decided 14 will the number. Should I mention I never knew my exact birth date all those years? I once asked my grandma how old am I, as uninformed as she was herself, she responded "I think you just turned 6 when your mom brought you here, and that was 2 years ago," just like me, she did not know when I was born. I have then just counted the years myself. On that account, I have never, not once, celebrated my birthday.

The following morning after I turned 14 (according to my innate knowledge), without saying good-bye to anybody, I hopped in to an old ship. I was on my way to a big city. The city where my parents reside. I thought to myself, I can finally ask those people exactly when did they brought me to this world and If I'm really fourteen years old like I thought I was.

To make my story short, I found my parents, and I was indeed fourteen years old. Because my parents were obviously penniless, although I tried to convince them to send me to a secondary school, they couldn't. Without any complaint, I labored my way again to secondary school and up to some college.

From childhood to young adulthood, and to adulthood, no matter how difficult life was, once again, I have never doubted that I can still be what I want to be. Those very hardships have molded my dreams, my aspirations, and my ambition as solid as it is. Things happened, good things I must say, I got married and had two beautiful girls who I love the most. But my dream hasn't been fulfilled, so here I am, a nontraditional student, a mature person who is passionate and dedicated more that ever, to reach her dream.
joanna2587 2 / 9  
Wow. Such a big family!
I like the first sentence. Give more specific event on being "adulthood." That will be better.
BryanM7 - / 2  
Good essay, you could work on the way your essay flows.

Home / Undergraduate / I came from a big family consist of six brothers and 5 sisters ; PERSONAL STATEMENT