Came to Vancouver - GROUP WORK/ PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE; UBC SUPP

winnietran219 1 / -  
I am an international student so I made a lot of grammar or sentence structure mistakes. Please help me to review this. The deadline is Jan 31. Please!!!

In the last summer, I studied at Langara College. One of the courses I have taken is programming. At the beginning of the semester, I thought this one is going to be very easy for me because I have already taken a higher level one. Both courses share the same concept but only different in some syntax. I was unconcerned about this course and I think I can easily get a good grade. The things did not went too wrong in the first mid-term. I was topped in the class. However, something went wrong directly after this mid-term, I only got half of the mark on the following assignment. This programming language was getting harder and I found there were many different syntax than the one I took. I still did not pay much attention on this course and did not finish the assignment carefully. I thought I could get a great grade at the final but turned out that I only got a C-. I went to talk to the instructor and ask him why I only got C-, he said I did not work hard and all the assignment and exam could not show that I was doing great. After talk to him , I realize that it is all my fault, there was denifently something wrong with my attitude. Learning is a hard process, I could never get what I want If I did not work hard on it. At the following term, I changed some of my study habit and study to pay attention during the class and finally I got a good grade.

When I first came to Vancouver, I studied in a language program. One of the biggest chanllege is a small presentation. This presentation is 10 minutes long and I had to work with another person in the class. The biggest challenge for me is not that speak in front many audience using the language that I am not good at but to work with a person from a country with totally different culture background. My partner was a Japanese teacher who came Vancouver to study English. I always had different point of view on a small point with her. Reasonable discussion is good for the group but we spent too much time arguing small things. One day, I suddenly realized that we are not going to finish the poster before the due date if we keeping arguing like that. After that, I start to convince her that we need to think more about other's opinion instead of insisting ours and not give up. I write down every single point she has and start to think in her shoe, I found there are actually some great points she is making. We shared both our thoughts and finally we made a great poster for presentation. What I have learned is how to deal with situations during the group work and be respectful for all the group members with different culture and customs.

Five Activities:

1. Performing arts.
2. Soccer League, got the 3rd prize at the final at grade 10 as a member.
3. When I study at China North University , I helped traffic police to orginize with classmates at a busy road.
4. Grade 6 to 9, math representative in the class, job is to help other classmates who have difficulties with math problem.
5. Help elder to shop for every needs.

I want to talk about the performing arts at grade 7. Our goal is to performing a 8 person piano play in front of all the students on my grade. At that time, I had the strongest piano skills. The melody was simple but when it comes to 8 people playing at the same time, it is a big trouble. One person's mistake can screw up the whole play. There are also some other problems, some are too shy to play in front of many people, some partner are weaker than others. After play well with melody myself, I talked to the musical teacher who is responding for the play and said that I can help for a better performance. Firstly, I talked to some students who lacks of experience of permorming in front of others and shared some thoughts I gained during all my previous performing. And I tried my best to help people who are weaker on piano skills. I showed them myself how to play some hard part and I told them how to practice more efficiently. Finally, we got really great feedback after that performing.

What I have learned is that the joy of working as a team.

One of my habits is digital product. I always surf at some forum or website of digital product. One thing I really like to do is that once I saw some useful or interesting website, I would really want the weber in China to know what is it. So my job was to translate some useful websites and post them on the forum. I feel really happy to share what we love with my mates and I am glad they can know more even if they don't have a great English skill so that they may miss some interesting articles.
devabe2005 46 / 97  
chanllege is a small presentation.--> challenge --> typing mistake

study at China North University , I helped traffic police -->study at China North University, I helped traffic police--> space before comma
\
I helped traffic police to orginize with classmates at a busy road. --> organize --> spelling mistake

Home / Undergraduate / Came to Vancouver - GROUP WORK/ PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE; UBC SUPP