Campus, Curriculum, Others surprised by me - Notre Dame supplements!

alexla 7 / 17  
1. The Grotto is a cherished destination on Notre Dame's campus, a space that invites students and visitors to pray and take time for reflection. Do you have a place that you seek out, and what do you contemplate there?

3. The curriculum offered at Notre Dame varies from what you might expect (e.g. Introduction to Biological Sciences, Accountancy) to topics you might not (e.g. Theology and Engineering, Friendship: From Aristotle to Facebook). If you could introduce a new course and serve as the expert instructor, what would it be and why?

4. Tell us about a time when you have surprised others or yourself by doing something unexpected.

These are done respectively. Each is supposed to be 150 words about...was pretty tough. I'd appreciate any input!

Everyday, I go to an oasis of chlorinated water and restlessness. I flap my arms for an eternity, hoping to reach the other side. Such is the endeavor that an Olympic sized pool provides. So what do I do for an eternity?

I think about what I should have said to that girl or what I will say to her next time. I think about how I said "birthplace of democracy" in answering "why Greece was significant" back in the day and how I should have added "technological advances and public forums." I think about how charming I'll try to be at the next speech and debate tournament and how embarrassed I'll probably be.

Much goes on in that pool. My body floats with the water and with it, my thoughts. It's a chilling thought to be without it. How will I cope? I guess I'll have that to think about.

It was the evening rush: Sunday night, homework, and classic rock. I popped open the classic rock station on Pandora (internet radio program) and on came the live version of Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. Regardless, I enjoyed the entire song: the godly guitar solo by Jimmy Page, the lyrical supremacy of Robert Plant, and the rhythmic drum-playing of John Bonham. To me, the song was eternal but to many of my generation, it didn't exist. This had to change.

If the opportunity came up, I would teach Classic Rock Appreciation: From The Beatles to Styx. It would be a class dedicated to helping students remember and understand the value of the music that fueled the attitudes of the 1960's, 70's, and 80's. I dread the day when I encounter the next generation's ignorance of the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, or even worse, The Beatles. These bands are fading legends but with this class, I could save future generations from classic rock ignorance.

I walked in with a limp, still recovering from the fractured ankle I received from falling on one of the cracks on the school's blacktop. It was the day of my brown belt test and I was ready, healthy ankle or not.

A week ago, my sensei said I'd be held back if I couldn't perform. That was unacceptable. I took it easy: no kickball, running around, or karate practice. It helped somewhat but not entirely. It didn't matter.

When I approached my sensei, he asked me why I was in uniform. My dad answered for me, telling him that I was ready. Sensei stared blankly at me but smiled after realizing that I was bent on performing the test - fighting ten black belts, endurance tests, and numerous stances. I jumped, kicked, ran and held back the tears that overwhelmed me, impressing my sensei and my peers. It felt good to receive my brown belt, knowing that I achieved more than a belt color.
boyohboy17 3 / 6  
Wow. Those are all very well written and well crafted mini-essays. I think that they all say a lot about you, and they discuss different things about your personality, fitting together like puzzle pieces.

I think your first essay is excellent

the second one, i think you should focus a bit more on what makes you an expert on the subject. You touch on it briefly, but i think you should go more in depth on the subject

For the third, its all good except for when you said, "my dad answered for me". Even if he really did say that, it would help your cause to say that you told your sensei that you were ready (a small fabrication wouldn't hurt).
chet1119 2 / 14  
I think you have totally nailed all three of your supplements. They're very impressive for only 150 words. I particularly like your second one, Classic Rock ftw! I agree with Mathias, that maybe you would want to elaborate a bit more. A good idea would be to generalise your opinions on Led Zeppelin for classic rock in general. That way you can have more words to talk about the musical form.

Best of luck for your application!

Can you read my supplement for Williams College, and provide feedback.

Cheers!

Home / Undergraduate / Campus, Curriculum, Others surprised by me - Notre Dame supplements!