Campus / Let love speak - Tufts Supplements

tiffanyh5849 4 / 11  
Hi! Can someone check my supplements for grammatical errors? Do you think my essays tell you enough about me? And for my second prompt, I'm a little over 200 words (I have 215 words), any idea on how I could shorten it? Any criticism is welcomed! Thanks :)

Which aspects of Tufts' curriculum or undergraduate experience prompt your application? In short: "Why Tufts?"

I fell in love with Tufts the moment I set foot on campus. It is everything I imagined a perfect school would be: A school with a beautiful environment, a challenging rigor, diversity, and a wide variety of science programs. As a Chemistry major I don't want to limit my studies to just Chemistry; I want to broaden my knowledge and explore other fields of science as well. I am most interested in Tufts Medicinal Chemistry and Biotechnology programs and research opportunities that not many universities offer. My goal is to delve into the field of Chemistry and use my knowledge to develop therapeutic drugs for treatments. I believe Tufts can open those doors for me.

Self-identity and personal expression take many forms. Use the richness of your life to give us insight: Who are you? (200 words)

My fingers move freely along the keys of my piano. The unique sound of each key as my fingers press against them resonates in my mind and becomes a part of me. Playing the piano gives me the ability to express myself through the essence of my playing. The joy of learning a new song compels me to perfect my playing. When I was young, practicing the piano was a mundane routine for me, but it has become one of my favorite pastimes. My love for music has only grown. Today I find myself sitting at the piano to express myself. The lingering sound of the notes, the haunting sound of keys, and the upbeat pace of the song each represent feelings of melancholy, frustration, and rapture. It's not just a hobby, my place at the piano is a haven from the outside world; it gives me the tranquility I need. There are no restrictions on how I should play as I control the tempo and style of the song. I've learned some of life's greatest lessons in front of the piano. The importance of patience and slowing down in life are only a few. I catch a glimpse of myself on the piano's surface, as I continue to play the keys to my life.

There is a Quaker saying: "Let your life speak." Describe the environment in which you were raised-your family, home, neighborhood or community-and how it influenced the person you are today. (200 words)

"Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect", a phrase that has been the basis of my childhood, and now a philosophy of my life. My perseverance derived from my parents' discipline. Everyday I would practice my songs until my fingers became numb. I wasn't allowed to leave the piano until I perfected a song without a mistake. It was the same for my Chinese studies. I watched as my father illustrated the fundamentals of Chinese: Character strokes. I tried my best to delineate his strokes, but it took me countless tries to perfect it. Back then, I thought of it as senseless torture, but today I look at it as discipline. Slowly, self-discipline started to incorporate into my lifestyle. I am no longer driven by my parents' nagging criticisms. Instead, I am driven by my own desire to exceed expectations. Regardless of what I do, whether it's drawing a picture or doing a lab experiment, I always strive for perfection. I am not satisfied with just "good" or "great", but rather "outstanding." I learned that there is no limitation to human growth and as long as we are willing to progress ourselves, we will be one step closer to perfection.
I fell in love with Tufts the moment I set foot on campus. It has every quality I associate with my conception of a perfect school would be: beautiful environment, challenging rigor, diversity, and a wide variety of science programs. As a Chemistry major I don't want to limit my studies to just Chemistry; I want to broaden

My fingers move freely along the keys of my piano. The unique sound of each key as my fingers press against them resonates in my mind and becomes a part of me. Playing the piano gives me the ability to express myself through the essence of my playing. The joy of learning a new song compels me to perfect my playing. When I was young, practicing the piano was a mundane routine for me, but it has become one of my favorite forms of self-expression.

There are a few unnecessary sentences in this second one... you can choose the ones to delete. Also, separate it into two paragraphs...

"Practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect." This is a phrase that has been the basis of my childhood, and now a philosophy of my life.

Put commas before the " mark, like this:

I am not satisfied with just "good" or "great," but rather "outstanding."

I learned that there is no limitation to human potential and that, as long as we are willing to progress ourselves, we will be one step closer to perfection.
prl 5 / 3  
I think your second prompt really expresses your feelings about playing piano. I also play piano for a long time and I also feel the same way.

Good Luck!!!
alpal 3 / 5  
I didn't find any mistakes in these essays. In the second one, you could delete the sentence, "The joy of learning a new song compels me to perfect my playing" because I think that essay is more about expressing yourself, while the thrid is about perfection. All together they show a lot about who you are, good job!
OP tiffanyh5849 4 / 11  
Thanks guys for your feedback! :)
If more people would be able to give me some feedback too, that'd be great! I'm thinking of sending this sometime this week.
yourichang 3 / 3  
i believe the "why tufts" short answer is limited to 50 words..
zowzow 10 / 175  
yes yes it is
i have to start writing one lol
OP tiffanyh5849 4 / 11  
Oh I thought 50 words is the minimum. I've seen examples on their website with about 100 words too..but I'm not quite sure. It's hard to put it all in 50 words though. Good luck on yours! :)
zowzow 10 / 175  
admissions.tufts.edu/?pid=203

i'm not sure what the maximum is but it says here 50 words
so i'm not so sure lol

thanks will need it!

Home / Undergraduate / Campus / Let love speak - Tufts Supplements