"capable of making my own decisions" - appropriate essay? it is about drugs.

neoreader 4 / 6  
Discuss a time when your beliefs were challenged. How did you handle the situation? What was the outcome?

I choose to write about this experience because, as a serious athlete, drug use represents the end of the spectrum that I stand against. It clashes harshly with my personal beliefs. However, I'm worried that it may still make admissions officers peg me as a 'bad egg' or something.

Like many Saturday nights before it, me and my friends had been aimlessly driving around a town that was too small for us. I sat in the backseat of Janine's car, crammed between Michael and Jessica, while Chase claimed the passenger seat and control of the radio. I had no reason to believe that this night would be different from any other, assuming that we might catch a late movie or stop for pizza, so I was thoroughly confused when Chase advised Janine to pull into an empty parking lot.

"I've got a surprise," he had said with a mischievous smile.
His surprise turned out to be a bag of marijuana. My first reaction was to chastise him, but I soon discovered that I was alone in my disgust; everyone else was eyeing the bag eagerly.

"Come on, Karlie. Its not a big deal," Janine had said, waving off my reluctance impatiently. "Just take one hit. You'll love it."

I declined, but they didn't want to take no for an answer. Before I knew it, I was under the pressure of four people who thought I was out to ruin their night. I wasn't sure what to do. Looking at the foul-smelling bag, I knew that smoking was not something that I wanted to try. It was unhealthy, stupid, and illegal. Not only that, but it could seriously jeopardize my basketball career. The risks just weren't worth it.

I suggested that we go swimming in my pool instead. At first, everyone seemed a little disappointed, but soon the idea of swimming on a warm summer night lightened the mood. Chase tucked the bag away and the subject wasn't brought up again. Worried about being influenced by their lifestyle, I eventually started to spend time with different friends.

This experience taught me that I have to be willing to stand up for myself. If I hadn't stood by my convictions, I might have indulged in an illegal activity that could have jeopardized my future. It also taught me that its okay to say 'no' to anything that I didn't want. I'm grateful for this experience, because it helped me prove to myself that I'm capable of making my own decisions, even when faced with disapproval from peers.
smartin22 - / 1  
If it is for college admission, then no, this is too risque. If you use this topic for admissions, the focus may become you and the controversial topic, rather than your scholarship and capability. By now, you should have many other experience to choose from, and I encourage you to choose something less controversial.
OP neoreader 4 / 6  
Alright, thank you!
Chatrat 1 / 4  
I am not sure I agree. I think this is an experience that did challenge your beliefs. Drugs and peer pressure is a huge problem in America. It shouldn't be a taboo topic.

good luck, and good for you for standing up for beliefs.
gracedrift 7 / 34  
I have to agree with Chatrat. Drugs is an issue that all teens are confronted with, and we should be allowed to discuss it honestly. Congrats on standing by your principles. I thought the essay was well-written and the narrative-style was engaging. Good luck!
garcia_raquel - / 1  
I too have the same issue and also ended up getting alcohol poisining. I believe that you should write exactly what you feel has changed you and what you learned from the experience that most get addicted to. Since you changed your perspective of life and wish to persue higher education I think it does show who you are and what you had to over come.
represents the end of the spectrum that I stand against.

This is quite complicated. I understand what you mean, but it uses more words than necessary. Using a lot of words should be reserved for situations that require it. In this situation, you can say drug use is on the opposite end of a spectrum on which you stand, and mediocrity is right in the middle!

:-)

This essay could be improved with the addition of some more discussion about your aspirations, including basketball and your career aspirations. These aspirations are the reasons students stay focused, and they establish your self-discipline a matter of focus and determination.

Home / Undergraduate / "capable of making my own decisions" - appropriate essay? it is about drugs.