'Capital punishment debate' - stanford... an intellectually engaging experience.

erika14 3 / 5  
QUESTION: Stanford students are widely known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging.

ANSWER: This year, I had the opportunity to debate with a few other students about a topic of our choice. We chose capital punishment. We were given a couple months to work on the project and learn as much information as we could to present a case that could win. My side was pro-capital punishment, and we argued from both an economic and a moral standpoint. Through the many hours of research I did, I came to know the issue very well, and I felt comfortable presenting my information to the other students. I enjoyed doing this project because it pushed me to look at a very controversial issue through my own eyes. I had the chance to form my own opinions off of facts and other opinions I found. Arguing such a controversial issue made me realize that to have an opinion I can support (under any circumstances), I need to be informed. I learned what I need to do to form my own opinions, and how to present information in a way that will affect others. Now that I have gone through that experience, I believe that I could argue and sway others toward my side in any debate. This experience made me comfortable sharing what I believe with anyone.

Do you think I should take out that I was pro-capital punishment? Would it be better if I left that out?

thanks for help soooo much!
JSFlash 9 / 30  
You use "experience" a little too much. Try to find some synonyms. For example, instead of saying "With this valuable experience, I believe that I could argue...", say "With this valuable knowledge, I believe that I could argue..."
OP erika14 3 / 5  
'After the many hours of research I did, I felt comfortable presenting my views and the underlying facts to the other students.' I think it sounds better if I just cut out the 'I came to know the issue very well'. ?
JSFlash 9 / 30  
yeah, that works too.
I enjoyed doing this project because it pushed me to look at a very controversial issue from every angle .

I had the chance to form my own opinions, due to facts and other opinions I found.

This is a good essay.
It seems funny that you asked at the end whether you should not mention which side you're on though :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Capital punishment debate' - stanford... an intellectually engaging experience.