"Career Advising and Advising Programs" - Why UChicago Essay

eastring 3 / 3  
Please feel free to edit (Grammar, structure etc.) and criticize.
Thanks!!

The unique aspects of the academic programs and the university's mission have greatly attracted my interests in attending University of Chicago. I believe that to learn politics, one must gain a better understanding of our society and the structure in which we are governed, and the people who are representing our society by transcending the barriers of custom, language, geography, and history in the contemporary globalized world. I consider the University of Chicago's multi-disciplinary approach and the "Chicago Schools" of thought a great fit for me. Interdisciplinary workshops and Core program will allow me to comprehend 'people' from a variety of differing perspectives, including both scientific and artistic, and to learn how to critically analyze these knowledge without forming a fixed, parochial perception or judging people in a stereotypical way. Furthermore, with the help of SITG, I plan to expand my understanding of people's cultural values. Once this is accomplished, I will finally be able to learn how to 'settle different interests' between countries and answer 'Who Gets What, When, How,' which is the essential inquiry of politics as the American social scientist Harold Lasswell puts it.

The Career Advising and Advising Programs is another exceptional factor at UChicago. Careers in Public and Social Service (CCIPSS) will help me advance further to incorporate my theoretical knowledge about society and the world into public affairs. Likewise, pre-professional programs, such as Chicago Careers in Law and the ABG Career Externship Program will provide me opportunities to re-consider and confirm my career interests in law and foreign affairs.

Through UChicago's civic engagement program, especially the Community Service Leadership Training Corps (CSLTC), I plan to participate actively in serving people from our local level, and gain a broader perspective of what is real-world. By investigating the problematic side of our society- perhaps poverty, discrimination, or injustice, I want to obtain a true understanding of our current world and seek effective ways, that are neither sugar-coated, nor ostensibly labeled as "good" by some self-interest groups, but that are truly altruistic in accordance to everyone's needs.

My future goal at UChicago is to utilize all of my intellectual gains from these various fields of studies and hands-on opportunities, both theoretical and realistic, and form a fair, complete view to determine the apparent social gaps and fallacies, and successfully conduct faculty-mentored research on important social issues that affect our lives. This way, I hope to become a lawyer who can make a right and appropriate judgment.
USMAN GUJJAR 2 / 33  
no personal refrence??u have nothing special in essay or strong ambition.

Home / Undergraduate / "Career Advising and Advising Programs" - Why UChicago Essay