"career in communication" - Why a good match at SEATTLE UNIVERSITY?

Tube 1 / -  
So here's the essay I've written for Undergrad. admission at SU.

Why do you feel that Seattle University is a good match with your educational goals?

21 million people were displaced in Pakistan because of the flooding last month, yet I have heard questions like, "Whoa! When did that happen?" Astonishingly, this statistic did not manage to raise enough relief for the homeless or even awareness for that matter.

Although I have not decided on a major yet I am looking to pursue a career in communication. Having researched Seattle University's academic departments, Journalism has appealed to me the most; specifically the mentality of "empowerment through communication." I believe that Seattle University's emphasis on human rights within communication is going help me gain a deeper understanding of ethical issues and thus help me contribute to these issues more effectively. I want to make a difference. All the homeless, Pakistani civilians need attention from more than just their own country to survive a disaster as bad as this one. I want to be able to highlight what is happening in the flood-affected areas of Pakistan using the combination of "Perception, Performance and Passion".

I have been surrounded by different cultures my entire life. Moving countries, schools and neighborhoods has given me the chance to make unique friends and recognize the differences, as well as similarities, between people and cultures. A lot like the religious awareness I have received through living in an area where Churches, Temples and Mosques were all located within the same block. I want to strive to maintain and increase that diversity in the college I go to and be an important part of a liberal community. The "Mass Media in Modern India" is a great study abroad program which I can see myself as a part of later on. The wide scope of cultural education in Seattle University encourages broad-thinking which is vital for international awareness on various issues.

Religion has always been a topic of high importance in my life and amongst my family, and I have been brought up not to make judgments solely based on religion. Personally, I am a Muslim however; a Jesuit education at Seattle University will help me sustain my spiritual background as well as further develop academic aspiration. I believe that as long as there is some form of spiritual belief, it will provide me with motivation and strength to set the right morals and achieve my personal and professional goals.

As an international student, I will have to make Seattle University my "home away from home," but I will have it easier than the Pakistani refugees forced under make-shift tents, surrounded by water and striving on bare rations. I hope that in the next few years I can make such harsh conditions, which occur around the whole world, more obvious to other people and "give voice to the voiceless".

I'd really really appreciate it if someone could get back to me, thanks!

(:
djlundi11 1 / 9  
As a fellow applicant to SU, this essay really fits in well with the prompt, and SU's overall mission statement. I don't see any obvious grammatical or spelling errors within the essay, so I'd say you're ready to submit! :-)

I also really liked how you took a horrible event that is relatively not known of and explained how, if you were a SU student, you would change things like this unawareness from happening in the future.

Hope we both get accepted!
Don't start with a numeral:
Twenty-one million people were displaced in Pakistan

Moving to variou s countries, schools and ..

I don't think these are proper nouns in need of capitalization: Churches, Temples and Mosques

Personally, I am a Muslim; however, a Jesuit education at Seattle University will help me sustain my spiritual background as well as further develop academic aspiration.

...surrounded by water and striving surviving on bare rations. I hope that in the next few years I can make such harsh conditions, which occur around the whole world, more obvious to other ...

This is very impressive, and I would admit you if I was the AO reader!

Good luck. :-)

Home / Undergraduate / "career in communication" - Why a good match at SEATTLE UNIVERSITY?