Carnegie Mellon Supplement-The Human BOdy vs Computers

jesupai 3 / 6  
I pressed the stub on my computer's power button, giving it life. The bootstrap, a small algorithm, fetches the Operating System work, allowing all of the computer's hardware to communicate with each other, much like the brain of our human body. The circuits act like blood and connective tissues, flowing through the motherboard to other parts of the computer. It works like a complex machine, all of its components have to work together to create a perfect system. Insulated wires in the computer imitate the neurons in our body, padded with myelin sheath. Our brain, the processor, is the manager of the system, and makes sure that all the devices and organs are working in perfect condition. Antibodies act like an antivirus, designed to remove any foreign objects from the body. We speak through the speakers, listen through the microphone and see through the monitor. Input to the computer is like oxygen to us, the computer is useless without it. It outputs information to us, much like how our ideas, emotions and doctrines provide the world with knowledge.

What's so baffling is how humans are able to replicate the system of the human body into computers. Just as how the four nucleic acids in our DNA are capable of creating the whole human body, the most basic part of computers consists of two numbers, ones and zeros. The biological and computer world do not stand very apart from each other, the most notable difference being their sizes. The world of human biology is huge, and we are yet to discover every continent on it. The computer world, however, has a variable size, as we are the ones in control of it. The more we discover and learn new computer technologies, the bigger its world becomes. And since we have an amazing ability to reproduce an electrical machine from the biological processes of the human body, I feel that the more continents we discover in the human biology world, the bigger the computer world increases in size. The human body fascinates me as equally as computers do, hence I feel that my curiosity for human biological processes will allow me to discover new computer technologies or even use that knowledge to prove or disprove computer science theories.

Looking through Carnegie Mellon's Computer Science department, I felt very fascinated by the different approach to thinking used in the department; I feel that the "Computational Thinking" method will be very effective in theory problems such as "P versus NP". This theory asks whether a problem whose solution can be checked by a computer can also be rectified by the computer itself. This problem would not be a hassle for the human body; if there was a foreign body in the blood, information will be sent to the brain to direct killer-T cells to kill the cells infected by the body and lymphocytes will engulf the bacteria, removing the problem. I want to use the knowledge of such processes to solve theories in Computer Science, and by taking an additional minor in Computational Biology, I am sure that Carnegie Mellon will be the perfect fit for me as I am for it.
mukhia08 7 / 22  
wonderful essay, WOW.
emanon 4 / 16  
WOW, that was quite a vocabulary.. I had a hard time following you.. Very eyecatching and to-the-point :) you ll definitely make it to CM
boom 2 / 9  
I remember reading a couple weeks ago, and I thought it was amazing. It still is. I can really relate to the analogies you use, probably because of my biology interest, but i think you make the ideas flow really well.

Good luck

Home / Undergraduate / Carnegie Mellon Supplement-The Human BOdy vs Computers