"carpe diem" is my motto - Stanford --Letter To Roomate.

essceejay216 4 / 51  
PROMPT: Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better.

Dear Future Roomate,

Everyone thinks about who their roommate will be when they go to college. Just like everything else about your college experience, you hope that your roommate will be perfect. I cannot promise you perfect. I'm just a normal girl, after all. I'm a iPod-toting, journal-keeping, reality television-loving girl. J.K. Rowling is the cause of some of the most awesome dreams I've had. Cecily von Ziegesar is the reason why I do absolutely nothing but stare at the television screen from nine to ten every Monday night.

Some days, "carpe diem" is my motto, but I also enjoy doing absolutely nothing. Many things interest me, but there are few subjects that I actually take the time to explore, like genetics and folklore. With people it's totally different-I'm open to getting to know anyone. I have been surrounded by a truly interesting array of people my entire life and have learned that everyone has something to bring to the table, whether it be a story that they insist on telling every time you see them, a laugh that makes everyone else laugh, or an unfailing tendency to randomly burst out in song at the most inopportune times-which is something I do. I appreciate people for who they are, no matter who they are.

Going to college will be the first time that I am away from home for long periods of time. I'm glad that I have someone to share this experience with and I'm excited to get to know you.

What do you think??
Anonymoussenior 17 / 133  
I really liked your essay although you may not say you like doing nothings seing as colleges have an image of students that they are always doing something. I like the ending, it seems like you are actually talking to your roomate and that you want to get to know them like they have gotten to know you in this letter. I enjoyed the way you described yourself and I hope you get it so that your roomate can someday read this letter. I like the tone of the essay as well, it is not too serious like other college essays and has a light playfullness about it that one would have when writing to their roomate.

Please read my essay as well.
alexis brandon 17 / 44  
am away from home for long periods of time
will be away from home for a long period of time

I'm glad that I have someone to share this experience with and I'm excited to get to know you.

tighten this some so your ending causes the admission officer to remember you as I feel that most applicants will end their essay this way.
chocana 6 / 18  
I like the hint of playfulness in your essay! But like others, tighten the ending or make it a little more memorable. But I can really see who you are and what your passions are though your essay.

Hope this helped :) Please edit my carnegie essay!
etaang 4 / 40  
You need to tighten up the grammar in the first and last paragraph of your essay. As for the content, you had a decent premise (that you had imperfections, you were humble etc.) but the the rest of your writing was overwhelmingly unexciting and cliche. It's good that you establish a relaxed tone, but your essay simply doesn't do anything aside from sharing your most basic personality traits.

Hope this helped!
carlawithac 1 / 3  
I like the honesty of your response! It's sincere and gives me a good glimpse of who you are.
liloyang 1 / 3  
I like your essay, the ending is kinda cliche tho, try tighten up the ending?
dannaliano - / 5  
I really liked your letter, you seem very upbeat and friendly. At the same time, you might not want to include the parts about you watching so much television. We all do it, but I don't think colleges would like the idea of admitting someone with lots of distractions. They way you speak definitely shows that you are talking to your future roommate, in a good way.

if you can please check out my essay?
jz7 6 / 21  
The "carpe diem" idea is good, I think you could elaborate that a bit more and how you abide by it.

Also, do not say you are a "normal girl", it is very stereotyping and wayy cliche.

"I cannot promise you perfection ".

Also, if "carpe diem" is your motto, don't mention you enjoy doing nothing. "Lounging around" is not that appealing.

The answer itself is very honest and easy to relate to , good job! Check out mine when your free?

Home / Undergraduate / "carpe diem" is my motto - Stanford --Letter To Roomate.