Cartwheels at 70; FIT admission/ Why I'm a perfect candidate?/ My major

siobhan613 1 / 5  
FIT ESSAY 2013

What makes you a perfect candidate for FIT? Why are you interested in the major you are applying to?

Cartwheels at 70

I was watching a recap of NY fashion week and found out a favorite designer of mine started her work designing at the big 40 that is to say she is now 70 and still doing cartwheels down the runway. I imagine that is how she'll drop dead too, but I digress. It gave me the confidence to believe my next chapter is going to be cartwheels at 70, and a major step towards that is FIT.

I'm now a photographer in the fashion industry. I am at a stage in my life and career that I am ready to re-focus. I am satisfied as a photographer but I have never felt that I had figured out what I wanted to go to college for. It was serendipity to learn that Betsy Johnson's fashion career started mid-life.

As a teenager I applied to SIU-C and completed a few semesters with good grades till I began to realize that a photography degree (pre-digital) was not mandatory so I opted for life lessons. While in the process of deciding to leave school at this stage and age in life, I mistakenly did not take into account the drop in grade point and the long-term repercussions of the decision in regards to my education.

In the school of life I grew from a small town girl with small town dreams to a woman treading the mean streets of the big apple (in Louboutins) I have worked as a freelance photographer on fashion editorials to a corporate Imaging Manager producing the images of garments for the database of a fashion wholesaler.

I have learned thru these experiences that I needed more, that my full potential has not been utilized, and that fashion is the industry I am the happiest in. Within fashion it took me a while to determine just what program to focus my energy on, I was not surprised to find that FIT had a degree program that tailored itself seemingly directly to me. International Marketing and Trade incorporates my love of language, my desire to be involved with the world, being aware of international trends, maintaining relationships with people I meet when traveling internationally.

Being an integral part of this global economy and incorporating my visual skills along with my logical and analytical skills. I applied to FIT as soon as I saw that it was the right fit for me. Submitted my application to the AS in Advertising and Marketing and planned to continue on to the BS.

I was not surprised when I was rejected; my grades from college twenty years ago were less than stellar. FIT has a track record of producing award winning and noteworthy alumni, these people may not have been rejected when applying for admission but they have one thing in common with me, rejection is not failure it is a call to action!

Since then I have taken action. I am enrolled at SUNY Empire State College and have a GPA of 3.67. I am in my first semester and will complete an AA in June. The classes I am taking are preparing me for my coursework at FIT. I will have Statistics, Micro Economics, and two years of French completed before I begin the fall term, if accepted.

I want to take my career to the next level not only that I want to redirect my focus; it is through my education at FIT that I will be able to make that happen.

Studying at FIT allows me to connect with industry leaders and government officials, exploring opportunities thru its mentoring programs and alumni network (ITAN). But most importantly to get my education at an institution whose curriculum evolves to reflect the trends in the field.

I'm excited to become a student in the nights and weekends program at FIT, and get a BS in International Marketing and Trade. I bring the determination and vision of those who call themselves alumni (I know many) and hope that I can have the opportunity to show you just that.
I was watching a recap of NY fashion week and found out that a favorite designer of mine started her work designing at the big 40, that is to say she is now 70 and still doing cartwheels down the runway.

I mistakenly did not take into account the drop in grade point and the long-term repercussions of the decision in regards to my education.

This seems not flowing so well and wish if you would re-phrase it.

I have learned thruthrough these experiences

and that fashion is the industry I am the happiest in.

and that fashion is the industry of what I am passionate about.
fsolano94 16 / 30  
(1) FIT had a degree program that tailored itself seemingly directly to me

FIT had a degree program that tailored itself directly to me.

Other than the above suggestion I think your essay is well written and clearly explains why you would be a perfect candidate for FIT. Good Luck on the rest of your applications!
OP siobhan613 1 / 5  
Thank you so much for your Help!
iwantagoodfutur 2 / 7  
siobhan613
I was watching a recap of NY fashion week and found out that a favorite designer of mine started her work designing at the big 40 that is to say she is now 70 and still doing cartwheels down the runway.

I think you should also rephrase that sentence, particularly the red part. Are you referring to "the big 40" as in her age? What about "I was watching a recap of NY fashion week and found out that my favorite designer, (NAME), who began her career late in her forties was now 70 and still doing cartwheels down the runway."

I was watching a recap of NY fashion week and found out a favorite designer of mine started her work designing at the big 40 that is to say she is now 70 and still doing cartwheels down the runway. Although slightly morbid, I imagine that is how she'll drop dead too, but I shall digress . Seeing her so active despite her age gave me the confidence to believe my next chapter ( Are you talking about her next chapter in life?) is going to be doing cartwheels at 70, and a major step towards that is FIT.

I am currently a photographer in the fashion industry. I am at a stage in my life and career that I am ready to re-focus. I am satisfied as a photographer but I have never felt that I had figured out what I wanted to go to college for. It was serendipity to learn that Betsy Johnson's (well, seeing the name of the designer here, I think you revealed her name after, but I still think it's better if you state her name in the beginning; but it's your call! fashion career started mid-life.

Being an integral part of this global economy and incorporating my visual skills along with my logical and analytical skills. I applied to FIT as soon as I saw that it was the right fit for me. Submitted my application to the AS in Advertising and Marketing and planned to continue on to the BS.There are some grammatical errors here. Maybe you can rephrase it as: "Desire to be an integral part of the global economy (maybe replace "global economy" with a more specific word) and synthesize my visual, logical, and analytical skills motivated me to apply to FIT." <---- actually that's not very good either.. sorry ):

MY CURRENT DREAM IS TO TAKE MY CAREER TO THE NEXT LEVEL BY REDIRECTING MY FOCUS TO THE FASHION INDUSTRY?? AND I BELIEVE THAT it is through AN education at FIT that I will be able to make that happen. I think you should fix this sentence. I'm sure you'll come up with something much better! :)

Overall, I think this is a pretty good essay! Just read it over and change some grammar mistakes, maybe include some more recent things about your passion in the fashion industry and how they tie into your desire to get into FIT (you've done that but maybe have some more?). Please take my comments with a grain of salt because I'm not a really good writer either and I'm not that good at proofreading. Sorry if I didn't really help ): Good luck with FIT!

Home / Undergraduate / Cartwheels at 70; FIT admission/ Why I'm a perfect candidate?/ My major