'The category of being undecided' - Common App Short Answer for NYU

tnterror 2 / 2  
Q: NYU's global network provides students with hundreds of academic areas of interest for students to cultivate their intellectual curiosity and to help achieve their career goals. Whether you are entirely undecided about your academic plans or you have a definitive program of study in mind, what are your own academic interests? Feel free to share any thoughts on any particular programs or how you might explore those interests at NYU on any of our campuses.

A: I currently fall under the category of being undecided because I am unable to choose a major between business management and marketing or nursing. Despite this, I am ambitious and know that I would excel in either major. I am a sociable person that communicates with experiences and honesty. I constantly speak to others about past experiences to help them and these communication skills would only propel my involvement in either nursing or the business field. I am a caring person in the sense that I am constantly looking for opportunities to volunteer my time to help organizations or personal friends. I joined Key Club, a service club, my freshmen year of high school and since then I have volunteered approximately 1,500 hours towards my community and medical fundraisers. Since being opened up to the world of helping people and advertising events I have developed a great interest in Nursing and business management and marketing. The former because I would be able to aid others towards peak health or simply comfort them with my knowledge; the latter to delve into a career of product knowledge to put out beneficial items on the market to either ease life or to be an expert in quality. At NYU, I know I would be able to explore my interests because NYU is in a versatile state, NYU provides countless opportunities to attempt new things, and NYU's educators are some of the best in the nation.
steveandimrad 2 / 2  
" I currently fall under the category of being undecided because I am unable to choose a major between business management and marketing or nursing"

-Don't bother stating the fact that you are undecided, at least not as an intro sentence. It doesn't sound strong.

"NYU is a versatile state"
-I think you either meant "NYC is a versatile city" or "NYU is a versatile school"

Since being opened up to the world of helping people and advertising events I have developed a great interest in Nursing and business management and marketing. This sentence sounds extremely wordy and awkward, and your point is very vague. "Ever since I discovered a the worlds of helping people and advertising events, I have developed a great interest in nursing, business management, and marketing." Sounds better

Overall, your essay was decent. It got your point across but you did more telling rather than showing.

Read mine? :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'The category of being undecided' - Common App Short Answer for NYU