'caught a soccer ball for the first time' - Why Transferring/Personal Statement

yahooseltzer 1 / -  
Why Hofstra?
I would be proud to call myself a member of the Hofstra Pride. I want to attend a college where there is a diverse mix of people, stemming from all different racial, social, and economical backgrounds, one where my peers are mature critical thinkers whose passion for academics carries far outside the classroom. I want to attend a college where the community is a tight-knit group of young adults who are motivated to better themselves day in and day out in the classroom and their extracurricular. I want to engage with professors who will push me to work and accept nothing but my best. In life one must work for the things they want and at Hofstra I know I will get the real-life preparation I need to excel not only in the workforce, but as a leader and young woman.

Personal Statement
In August of 2009 I caught a soccer ball for the first time, one year later I walked on as a goal keeper for my college soccer team. How I got from never really playing before to being a NCAA athlete was through sheer determination. I woke up every day as the sun rose on sweltering summer days to work on my skills. I refused to be told that I could not achieve my goals, I refused to accept defeat. I am a strong-willed, stubborn, and tough minded person who knows that everything in life must be done with passion. These characteristics have not only helped me on the soccer field, but have helped me as a friend. I am the type of friend who will always be there when needed and sacrifice anything to help, whether it be as a teammate to work outside of practice or leader to guide them on and off the field. I have also never encountered an academic struggle that I felt I could not overcome. Whether it be meeting with a professor weekly to discuss the literature or writing three drafts of a Philosophical paper before settling on a starting point, I am always motivated to put in whatever effort it takes to help me succeed as a student, a player, a friend, and a person. I am these things every day, with no exception, and I would be honored to be able to contribute these attributes to the Hofstra campus.

Home / Undergraduate / 'caught a soccer ball for the first time' - Why Transferring/Personal Statement