'Cellular Motility and Sleep Muttering' - Stanford Roommate essay

etron 5 / 17  
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate-and us-know you better.

Dear Roommate,
I've been sitting here, deleting awkward sentences for over an hour. I'd nearly given up on thinking of relevant experiences I'd had with roommates, when my mom bounded in with an old Camp Newman application. One part of the form was a compatibility questionnaire designed to get to know the camper. As I scanned that section, one question stood out, "Does _____ talk while asleep? If yes, please explain." In my careful sixth grade penmanship, I'd answered, "No. (Maybe mutters...Not really)." Reading this made me laugh. I had been an eleven-year-old in denial. Now, at seventeen, I accept my "sleep muttering." Evidently, I ramble passionately about cellular motility (Oh, AP Bio!). I've also been known to insist that I am studying even as I roll over, fast asleep. (Wouldn't that be something, though? Sleep studying would be a fantastic time-saver.)

Fear not, future roommate: you won't have to snicker through too much of my sleep muttering; when I'm awake, you can (fake) laugh at my notoriously tasteless vegetarian jokes (Why did the tofu cross the road? To prove it wasn't chicken!). If you're not chicken, maybe you'll run with me sometimes. We won't break any speed records with my three-mile/thirty minutes pace, but we can explore the campus and get a work out. Also, if your plans allow, come home with me to O'ahu's North Shore for winter break: we'll watch huge waves crash on the beach, sneak up the Stairway to Heaven (360-degree views of O'ahu), and visit The Brew Bar, my family's coffee booth at the Haleiwa Farmers Market.

Good times await us!
Aloha,
Emily

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to submit my app soon, so I'm tweaking these essays like craaazy. This is already at the max word count/character count, so, if anything, I would need to take things out or substitute things in. Thanks for helping!
weebo_girl 2 / 5  
On the whole, it is a good write up. You could edit it slightly, though. Why don't you tell her a little more about the place you come from and a little about some other aspects of your personality (just a few lines)? You could cut down a little on the sleep talk paragraph. Good luck :)
OP etron 5 / 17  
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the feedback. I'll try to rework it to include these things :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Cellular Motility and Sleep Muttering' - Stanford Roommate essay