"from the central region to the Pacific Northwest" - UW short response essay #2

1nf3rn0 1 / -  
Moving from the central region to the Pacific Northwest has greatly impacted how I perceive the world and the people around me. From the early stages of my life, Illinois was all I knew and the only place I could call home. My friends, because of the location we lived in, were mostly American and I soon immersed myself into a lifestyle similar to theirs. I was taught to play sports such as football, basketball, and soccer to seemingly fit within the community around me. Taking showers and wearing different clothes daily were also deemed necessary to fit in. Furthermore, my fellow classmates influenced me to follow the trends of the American society: cool shoes, cool shirts, and the basic "norms" that were classified to be appropriate at the time. Just when I felt like I was part of the American society and integrated in their way of life, everything changed for me when I was forced to move to Federal Way, Washington, a place heavily populated by Korean immigrants.

H-mart, Pal-do, and various Korean restaurants and grocery stores passed by me as my parents drove around the small city of Federal Way. In one small parking lot, I undoubtedly saw five or more Korean stores bunched together, with one alienated American fast-food restaurant next to them. I knew that when I arrived in Federal Way, my life would take a drastic change.

Once we moved in to our new house, I slowly assimilated myself into the new environment I was unaccustomed to. I enrolled into TJHS and after a few days, I was able to make some friends. After getting closer to them, I soon was invited to eat with them at various places. At the time, my American lifestyle still clung heavily to me. I longed for American food. My friends, however, wanted Korean food, and took me to a Korean barbeque place to eat. Accustomed to restaurants such as Red-Robins and McDonalds and having never tried any type of Korean food in my life, the food tasted simply DELICIOUS, although quite different.

From then on, my Korean friends showed me many things that I've never experienced previously in Illinois. I was introduced to taekwondo and StarCraft, activities I still do up till this day. My friends taught me Korean so I could understand what my fellow classmates said and also what they didn't want me to hear. Korean food and snacks were exquisitely different. Furthermore, the competitive nature of my fellow Korean classmates motivated me to do better than what I could previously achieve.

This life changing experience allowed me to perceive the world differently, in a completely positive new light. I have learned to broaden my knowledge of all cultures to gain a greater understanding of the world and use that information to be a more complete person. By instilling and incorporating my newly learned Korean traditions and values into my previously Americanized lifestyle, it allows me to expand my cultural awareness in multiple directions.
WillieD 2 / 2  
Moving from the central region to the Pacific Northwest has greatly impactedinfluenced how I perceive the world and the people around me.

My friends taught me Korean so I could understand what my fellow classmates said and also what they didn't want me to hear.

Very well written and a moving story to tell! Good job.
Oh!! In multiple directions!! That ending is perfect. I really think you are "born to be a writer." You have such a talent. How did you learn to write in such an entrancing way?

My friends taught me Korean so I could understand what my fellow classmates said and also what they didn't want me to hear. --- This is a very interesting detail...

Korean food and snacks were exquisitely different. ---You already said this, so let's not be redundant.

When I read this essay, I think of the word "acclimation." You are able to fit in anywhere; that must be a result of clear perception and sharp intelligence.

Home / Undergraduate / "from the central region to the Pacific Northwest" - UW short response essay #2