'A challenge only becomes an obstacle when you bow to it' - Essay for UBC

becky Y 1 / 2  
Explain how you responded to a significant challenge that you have encountered and what you learned in the process. (maximum 200 words)I appreciate any comments and feedbacks to improve this essay

A challenge only becomes an obstacle when you bow to it. Taking the challenge is a chance to improve personal quality. I remember back in middle school, there was a speech contest with a great prize. I really wanted to take part in it, but lack of confidence was holding me back. My mom then encouraged me to participate in it, and we prepared the speech together. We went through it many times, and I practiced it days and nights. Finally, the big day came. Even though I have told myself thousands of times that it would be ok, I still felt tense when finally standing on the stage. My palms were covered with stream, and I can even felt that my voice was shaking. Take a deep breath, and beat it. A voice in my heart caught my ear. I then forgot there were hundreds of eyes on me and gave my speech as I was at home. When audiences clapped heartily after my speech, I felt proud that I overcame my lack of confidence.
A challenge only becomes an obstacle when you bow to it. Taking the challenge is a chance to improve personal quality.

You have only 200 words to talk about this significant challenge. So I think you should not waste words talking these general stuff. Instead it is better you talk about the challenge and how you took it up, the results and what you learned out of it.

I remember back in middle school, there was a speech contest with a great prize.

When I was in middle school, there was once a speech contest which became very popular and almost every student dreamed of winning the first place and the price.
OP becky Y 1 / 2  
thank you!

Home / Undergraduate / 'A challenge only becomes an obstacle when you bow to it' - Essay for UBC