Challenge or experience that helped you learn what is important to you

danado0ona 5 / 13  
I don't know what to write about for the undergraduate application essay . . . i'm 18 and i haven't experienced anything and i didn't have any challenge in my life . . i don't know what to do . .

help!!

I should write about one of these topics

(1) Write an essay about an event or experience that helped you learn what is important to you and why it is important.

(2) Reflect on a challenge you overcame through persistence.
broad 4 / 11  
you'd better refer to the other guy's work first. "i'm 18 and i haven't experienced anything" is not the reason you don't konw what to do but your excuse. Think about your goal or your dream, come on, it is not a hard work.
MissS1987 3 / 8  
maybe u can start with some tiny ones...but impressive ones...
riskirider 2 / 4  
everyone faces some sort of challenge, be it an illness, a sport you like to play, a hobby, even a mayonnaise jar you're having trouble opening, or your favorite video game...there is no such thing as an inapplicable topic you can always find something to draw on

post a topic or 2 I will help you brainstorm
melkorthefoul 13 / 31  
Lets see

Do you play any instruments? Any sports? Whats your fav. subject at school? What do you want to do for a job? What are your hobbies?

Answer these questions, and build on them... for example, my essay was about how I started having a passion for physics because of a book I read... nothing epic, but it doesnt have to be

You might not think you have done everything worthwhile, but think about it. Your topic could just be a conversation you had with your dad, and how it changed you viewpoint, or maybe you took a walk around town, saw the sunset, wondered why it was all red, investigated it and got interested in physics... just by living, I'm usre you have done SOMETHING you can talk about. It doesnt have to be epic... you dont need to have saved five kittens, an elderly woman and defended the nation against alien invaders to have it qualify as an experience you can write about :D
Pfannekuchen 1 / 7  
What really helped me when I didn't know what to write about was to think about what had made me the person I am today... I doesn't have to be anything big but there are many things that shape one in life and writing about what has made you tick will let them understand who you are...hoe this helps
didn't have any challenge in my life

If you had no challenge, then you had nothing that was important to you. Let's get fired up, now, and dig deep. You are capable of writing something excellent.

even a mayonnaise jar you're having trouble opening, or your favorite video game...there is no such thing as an inapplicable topic

I don't know if I agree. I would advise against writing about a mayonnaise jar or video game.

Actually, I think the best thing to do is use this as an opportunity to write about something related to your field of interest.

If you have no field of interest yet, be creative. Choose a field of interest tentatively. Even if you do not plan to declare a major, you can write about a career that interests you.

The way to do that here is to write about a challenge that inspired you toward a particular career. If you were mistreated, maybe you are interested in social work. If you were wronged in a legal sense, maybe you are interested in law. If you experienced the illness or death of a loved one, maybe you feel motivated toward health care.

See, the thing is, just having passion for a subject can be a source of a challenge. It also can be associated with memories of experiences.

The problem is that you were not inspired yet, so you felt like this was impossible, but when you have lots of energy and creativity, you will be able to know with certainty what is important to you.
Yayz 10 / 121  
mayonnaise jar

I think that would be a cool metaphor for breaking through the uncertainty in life and exploring the goop that is your substance (well it would be more developed than that, but ya know)
Michael48304 8 / 31  
I actually agree that some of the smallest things make the coolest essay. An essay I read earlier on this site about the writer's experience with glasses was really interesting. Pick something small but significant to you and tell a story. Make it interesting, yet relate it back to yourself. For example if you have a fear of heights, write about your first rollercoaster.
zengrz - / 92  
Hi.

Some of the most impressive essay I have seen talk about simple things that the writers encounter everyday, like walking across a creek or playing guitar. Trying to think of something you do often, and explain why you did them and what they have taught you.

G L~
OP danado0ona 5 / 13  
i don't know . . i play piano and i like to make movies. . they're the ways i express my feelings through . .

Thank u all so much . . I'm starting to get inspired :D
melkorthefoul 13 / 31  
Then write about how you made your first movie, or your first piano performance, or maybe the first time you saw a movie and how it inspired you...

You literally have no end to the topics you can write about. Oh, and if you find that the first draft isnt working out, dont feel bad. I went through like 15 drafts before I got a really good essay :D

Home / Undergraduate / Challenge or experience that helped you learn what is important to you