Change. It has been part of my life since I was young - College Essay

kraz4laxsoc 2 / 2  
These are my first two paragraphs that im working on. Im concerned that im getting into too much detail and not showing enough emotion.

Also when i mention 'Granolas' in the second paragraph does it seem to have a negative connotation because thats not at all what im intending

Thanks for any and all help.

Change has been part of my life since I was young. At the age of 5 I was forced to adapt to a new environment when me and my family moved from a small town in Quebec to Portsmouth, NH. Two years later, in second grade, I was pulled out of public school in order to homeschool. More recently, I began my sophomore year at Berwick Academy, a local private school. Then only a year later I transferred to Portsmouth High School where I currently attend. Because of all the new situations I have been in I have learned life skills that many others my age lack.

My transfer to homeschooling was as smooth as could be. I was still involved in the public school and saw my friends on a regular basis. The only difference was that I was able to work at an accelerated pace without the restraints of a class. As I got older I started to attend a homeschooling cooperative in Massachusetts where many different homeschool students congregated to take classes ranging from poetry and religion to calculus and computer programming. Not only did the classes have a large variety but the people who attended were very diverse in their philosophies. I met the 'classic' homeschoolers, granolas who felt they should decide if and what they should learn. I also met homeschoolers who were overloaded with all the things that were expected of them. The diversity that I encountered taught me to be accepting of everyone because no matter how you may perceive people to be, everyone deserves a chance.
OP kraz4laxsoc 2 / 2  
Also... does it seem really dramatic and if so does anyone know a way to tone that down
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

If you are concerned about too many details, how about combining or condensing some of the background info in the beginning and letting in a little bit more of your feelings in regards to all of this shuffling around? That will shift the emphasis from the physical movements to your emotions regarding the situation. I don't think it's too dramatic; in fact, it is a little the opposite. Adding in some details should help with that though.

As to the "granola" term, I don't think it's very appropriate to use in an entrance essay (if, in fact, that is what this is for). Instead of using a term that, perhaps, not everyone reading the piece will be familiar with, you could include a few adjectives to describe these individuals. That would also give some character to the piece.

Best of luck!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / Change. It has been part of my life since I was young - College Essay