Changing humanity, NYU abu dhabi, Year 2005, Anticipated program

THEDASHASH 1 / -  
"Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself." -Leo Tolstoy
How do you think your experience at NYU Abu Dhabi would change you as a person?
[/i]

I've always thought that people who believe and wish to change humanity have already become a better person. I, myself, believe that by me thinking of other people and how to make their lives easier is actually a change.

I, like everyone else, was born always thinking with the "I" in every single task I do, but through my high school education and after getting to know how people are suffering in the world these days and starting to understand the world and how it "works" in different ways, I thought to myself: "Why can't I be someone who contributes with something that would actually make a difference in many peoples lives?" Maybe my contribution wouldn't solve all of the conflicts and problems we're facing today, but at least people will somehow feel the difference I created, even if it was relatively small.

I believe that not only NYU Abu Dhabi will give me the required tools to be able to become a productive individual in my community and in the globe as a whole, it will also prepare me to become a mature adult who will be capable of taking critical decisions in any of the problems he may face in the future. I expect my experience at NYU to assist me in broadening my personal awareness of multicultural differences, as well as to develop my critical thinking so that it may match the level of wits needed for the real world.

There is an old saying that says, "Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day, but teach him how to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime", I expect my education at NYU shall teach me how to fish, so that I may live for 'a lifetime'.

NYU and NYU Abu Dhabi talk about our globally connected world. What does this mean to you, and what things do you think we can learn from each other?[i]

Thinking of the students who will attend from all over the globe, NYU and NYU Abu Dhabi are definitely on the road for starting a new era of globalization and cultures communication.

The diversity of nationalities and cultures that will be there at NYU Abu Dhabi is enough to open new portals towards improving both my relationship and awareness of other cultures.

NYU Abu Dhabi will Not only give me the opportunity to get to learn on how to be able to mingle with fellow global citizens, but also it will allow me to contribute significantly to the global network that NYU Abu Dhabi enthusiastically designed. In Addition, The diverse customs, traditions and lifestyles that ill be exposed to will sure contribute in broadening my personal awareness of multicultural differences. Eventually, leading me to become an individual with a mature personality that accepts differences and adapts with it.

Learning each other's traditions and how each of us think differently, will for sure make a stronger bond between cultures that in the future will result into creating a united world with different cultures. Also, meeting with other people who come from different backgrounds and different cultures face to face, will definitely erase the many stereotypes that I was raised believing in since I was small.

There is a lot and a lot values and meanings we can learn from each other's backgrounds, and I think that the global network that NYU and NYU Abu Dhabi are trying to establish will truly make our world 'connected'.

In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please tell us the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line.[/i]

Name of the movie: "The True Leo story"

Mohamed Ashmawy, a boy who grows an interest in computers since childhood, and who, under favorable circumstances and through a whole lot of effort, graduates with honors and several academic awards, develops computer programs, and manages to be a certified programmer; all by the age of 16.During his college life, he develops a program that immediately starts him off in the career. He gets a job in a very established company, when only a student. And after months of hard work, he takes the first step up the ladder, after proving himself more than worthy.

He gets more job offers over the years and along his reputation and fame start to shine in the industry field more and more. The "Leo" as he always referred to himself after his horoscope makes his big break at the age of 33,by developing the first and the only operating system with the first live interface that can think and respond in the entire world in which he also called "Leo" after his nickname. And after 7 years of perseverance, his project turns into success when he opens his own corporation and signs a contract with a well-known computer-manufacturing company.

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.[i]

Since I was 10 years old when i began to understand how the world moves I was always attracted by this machine called "COMPUTER", I said to myself "how can a machine like this do all these sorts of things, is it magic or is there someone inside doing all of this ?!" Lots and lots of thoughts popped onto my head and year after year I started to get to know more about the endless capabilities of this magnificent machine. By the age of 12 I had already decided that this will be my future career and that strong will and determination shall be my allies until a pioneer I become in this field.

The computer field is rapidly changing every day and that's what made it extremely interesting for me. To become someone known in such a field it's not an easy task. I am a person who loves challenges and there is a no more challenging career than a one in a field that changes every single second.

The best writing is often very personal. All kinds of experiences-serious, funny, unexplained, fleeting-can influence our lives and help make us who we are. Tell us about a person, place, or event in your life that has particular meaning for you, and why it is important to you. We'd especially like to hear about someone or something that has affected your life that may not have affected or even been noticed by other people.

As we grow older, we change; either for the better or, unfortunately, for the worse. In either ways, people around us play a huge factor in directing our character's changes. You might live a lifetime, influenced by the environment and all the people around you, and not even realize that they are the reason behind changes in your personality. It is simply amazing how everything around us shapes and carves us as characters. One person can make a huge difference in your life, whereas ten people all together might never change you.

The way I see it, my parents are the most responsible for most of good character, especially for me being a responsible, self-dependant young man. I have always been the one who the entire family depends on, especially when the task seems a bit tough. Being the eldest between my sister and brother, this always allowed me to be somehow independent since my parents were already considering me as a grown up who can handle responsibilities. "Responsibility is a trait no one is born with, you have to earn it" my dad would always tell me before handling me a task to do. As a young man, it is of vital importance to be responsible, because when being responsible people will eventually trust and rely on you more often. For instance, when I was younger my father used to refuse when I ask from him to give me more than 100 LE as my allowance. By the age of 13 I already were taking a 400 LE allowance. The reason behind my father's acceptance was because I have proved to my parents many times that I could take care of myself and whomever is with me.

In addition, my ambitious and optimistic nature is one of my most significant characteristics. Thinking positively and never giving up on things and people no matter, is something I have tried to do in all situations. I honestly do not know the motive behind this.

Maybe it is because my parents have always encouraged, told me to never give up, to always believe in myself and if I wanted and worked hard enough, I could accomplish anything.

Being influenced by others could happen in many ways and can happen subconsciously. Also, sometimes, even those who influence you might not realize it themselves. Overall, people around us affect us, and life shapes our characters and adds to them traits that we obtain when we face hard or difficult times in our lives.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK ?? :D BE HARSH !!
Don't do this "I, myself, ..." thing.
I personally believe that, by me thinking of other people and how to make their lives easier, I actually make change.---------just by thinking? Many people would disagree, but I don't! I think you can make a difference just with your thoughts, either negative or positive.

However, action sure makes a bigger difference. :-)

I think you should try not to use so many cmmas. You need to make your sentences simple and straightforward, like a spear thrust, without too many commas acting like stop-and-go traffic.

I think you should use a full paragraph as the first paragraph of that 2nd essay.

Your thoughts are excellent, and your English is excellent! I think you'll do very well!

Let's not use quotes here, and consider adding thrive:
...so that I may live and thrive for a lifetime.

Home / Undergraduate / Changing humanity, NYU abu dhabi, Year 2005, Anticipated program