"A Changing nation, living in Indonesia"; I am of an Indian descent

h207 2 / 3  
A Changing Nation

Often people ask me why I like living in Indonesia. I am of an Indian descent, yet I prefer to live in Indonesia rather than India. The reason that I give to people is that even though I am of a different race, Indonesia feels like a home to me and I feel one with the local people. My family migrated here in 1920 and I am the second generation of my family who is born here. I consider this country my home, my identity and my roots. Unfortunately, in the recent past, the feeling is slowly diminishing. Certain incidents have made me uncomfortable and question my safety and security in this country.

Indonesia is a Muslim-majority country which is known for its ethnic diversity and religious tolerance. People here are very friendly; they do not give much importance to race or religion. They get along well with Indians, Chinese, Africans, Europeans and Americans. However, due to certain groups, security is no longer here. People are becoming increasingly intolerant towards racial and religious difference due to influence form these radical groups. This country was founded on constitution and the laws are not religion-based, however fanatics often take the law into their own hands, committing violent crimes, all in the name of religion. Priests are getting attacked, churches burnt, demonstrations held against other religion, etc. Sometimes, these groups often attack people of their own religion. There is an internal struggle going on between moderates and extremists in Indonesia, where the extremists align themselves with Al-Qaeda and Taliban Islam. They either condone or directly support violence and terrorism. We can no longer practice our beliefs without watching our backs.

I am disturbed by these. I need to know that the way my ancestors have lived peacefully in this country for generation, my children and future generation will also be able to do so. I love this country and proud to call myself an Indonesian. However, I want my children to feel the same love towards this country as I do. My family should be able to live peacefully with Indonesians, become friends with them, mingle in the society and not face difficulties due to being of a different race. After all, if you are born in Indonesia, you are an Indonesian.

(p.s-not trying to disrespect any religion-purely facts)
Certain incidents have made me uncomfortable and caused me to question my safety and security in this country.

However, due to certain groups, security is no longer effective here.

Priests are getting attacked, churches burnt, demonstrations held against other religions , etc.

Do not say sometimes and often about the same verb: Sometimes, these groups often attack...

"This essay is fascinating to me, and I think it must be fascinating to many other people interested in contemporary circumstances in Indonesia and surrounding countries where extremists groups are doing their damage. You chose a great topic!!

Home / Undergraduate / "A Changing nation, living in Indonesia"; I am of an Indian descent