'my character of a helper' - RICE SUPPLEMENT (UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE)

ALI988 5 / 12  
A. The quality of Rice's academic life and the Residential College System are heavily influenced by the unique life experiences and cultural traditions each student brings. What perspective do you feel that you will contribute to life at Rice? (Most applicants are able to respond successfully in two to three double-spaced pages.)

Every student who arrives in college for the first time shares their own unique ways of life. They represent where they come from, what neighborhood they come from, what family they come from and more importantly the kind of place they come from. When I hear college life I think of a cross-cultural experience, a gathering of people from all walks of life learning and sharing information. Like most students at Rice, I have experiences which make me unique. I grew up in a district called Al-Rehab, a small, peaceful district in the city of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia which consisted mainly of Pakistani, Indian and of course Saudis heritages. I was engaged in my community from a very young age, whether it be playing street soccer or cricket every weekend with the kids from the neighborhood or an event that was being held. I took weekly Arabic classes, organized a fundraiser for the poor, and taught local children. We even created projects for the annual Arts and Science exhibition held in downtown. I have always taken pride in serving my community. But it is not from a sense of civic duty but rather from my culture that encourages hospitality and giving to others what you would give to yourself. Thus, I see this as more of a responsibility than a task. As a student of Islamic beliefs, I have been taught from the very beginning the significance of virtue to others which has inspired me to do more. Moreover, this sense of service and buttress to my community is also reflected amongst my family.

Hospitality and being consistently in touch with each other is vital in maintaining a blissful relationship in my household. An absence of phone calls or visits to each other's house usually results in dismay. Thus, my father's and my uncle's family who live here happen to get together every week or so and try calling once in a while. Respect to elders is also something to be honored and shown through actions. Which is why my parents entitle me or my younger brother to massage my grandparent's legs and feet every night. Education, is a key factor of recognition in our family. As my father was the first from his family to venture overseas to acquire the education he got for the sake of me and my family so that we may stand where we stand today. In return it would only be expected that me and my siblings show gratitude through our academics. Furthermore, living with my grandparents has allowed me to enlighten and broaden my perspective about the world as they have shared stories with me on their hardships and the difference between opportunities of receiving education at their time and mine.As far as our festivities are concerned, Ramadan is the most looked forward to month in our calendar. Not only is it a holy month, but also happens to be one of the busiest times of the year. During this month, in every house, everyday families sit together at sunset to break their fasts. Major activities and events are planned throughout the neighborhood of which most are central to the Mosque. At the end of the month, money for the poor and needy is submitted by head members of the family to be distributed around the city as per our beliefs. Then there is the Eid to look forward to, which marks the end of our Holy month and is a day of celebration. The day for which everybody prepares by buying their best clothes, shoes and adornments which are worn by women. On that day various number of events occur throughout the city such as fireworks on the corniche sea side or a large number of parties and get-togethers thrown out by the 'sheikhs'(the wealthier Saudis)of the city. The kids are gifted with toys and Eidis, which happen to be like pocket money except a bit heavier than the usual amount. Growing up to witness these events from a very young age, I have gained something to hold onto as I grow older and face the long road ahead.

With regards to my academic society. There is much I have experienced and learnt. The word 'Saudi' in Saudi Arabia actually doesn't have much to imply with only Saudis here. In fact this country includes people from places such as Europe, Africa, North America, South Asia and other countries in the Middle-East. With this country being the place that it is, with its prosperous economy and in a tax free state, visitors from around the world are not uncommon. Hence, living around such a vibrant community I have been able to learn and change my views of different cultures that I was not too fond of before. For example prior to my secondary school I used to think the Britons as being one of the rudest and shrewdest of people. However as my 8th grade commenced I was able to see from my friendly and helpful class teachers from England, that Britons weren't so bad at all.Thus, I can only hope that this experience of working and studying with these many different cultures can reflect in the community of Rice. My mood is also heavily influenced by the environment around me. Often times when the kids from my neighborhood have gone on vacation or I am surrounded by little life around me, you will often see me very dull and disengaging. But if I can expect a community of companions and friends, then you will see me really open up and exhibit my own unique way of dealing in my social life. It is for this reason I like to be disturbed rather than left alone on my own, peaking into my book all day and night. Rather I wish to communicate as much as I can with everyone around me. It is one of my primary goals in life. Of course when the time comes you will see me spending hours together on my oncoming exam or assignment since I am a natural competitor easily intimidated by others around me. My study and work are usually done in a peaceful and lively environment so this is also one of the reasons I am applying to Rice due to its magnificent and beautiful campus. With places like the Fondren library, the Bioscience Research Collaborative, Rice opens up to me like no other university. For a person who has taken countless extra classes, gone from tutor to tutor (of which many were some of the worst "people" I have ever encountered as they didn't do much more than waste my valuable time and took my father's hard earned money), the significance of proper instruction and conveyance of knowledge in the perfect environment with the perfect faculty such as that of Rice could probably have not been understood by anyone better.

Ultimately I hope my diverse background comprising of more than one straightforward culture can add much to the mix at Rice. With experience in my voluntary and extracurricular work, I hope I can truly reflect my uniqueness in my character of a helper as I hope to take advantage of Rice's renowned faculty and resources and live like Rice's very own Owl.
Kitsumi 4 / 97 16  
First impressions are as important, if not more so, than actually reading the essay itself. After all, an admissions officer have to read through hundreds, if not thousands, of essays. So, when I am faced with a gigantic wall of text, I am not extremely encouraged. Indent or put a space between your paragraphs. From what I see right now, there's 3 large paragraphs and 1 small one in the first essay; I think you can separate them into more paragraphs. I'm copying this comment directly from another one, but it still applies here.

and of course Saudis heritages

shown through actions, which is why

As My father was the first from his family to venture overseas to acquire an education he got , for the sake of me and my family so that we may stand where we stand today.

their time and mine.As far
Space after your period

With regards to my academic society, there is much I have experienced and learnt.

Overall, your writing flows very nicely. There's a lot of information though, and your essay is very long. Are you sure you're double spacing your essay?

Home / Undergraduate / 'my character of a helper' - RICE SUPPLEMENT (UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE)