"Characteristics of a doctor" Brooklyn B.A.-M.D. Program Essay

Jd87rh 11 / 55  
In my essay I have to answer the following three questions. It can be 4 pages when double spaced, as of right now it is only 3 pages.

- What characteristics and capabilities do you have that would contribute to making you a doctor who is concerned with caring for patients as well as with curing them?

- What have you learned from some of the extracurricular activities that you listed above or from other experiences about the role, career, and life of a doctor?

- How have your experiences influenced your decision to pursue a medical career?

I have never experienced a deep regret; I have never felt that a failure was too big to overcome. If ever there were something to regret, that would be not following my dreams. From a young age, I saw how hard life was for my parents. They were unable to realize their dreams because of economic and personal reasons. It's not that my parents weren't happy, but they could have been much happier if they had been able to pursue their dreams. My mom always tells me to do what I needed to do to accomplish my goals and follow my dreams. My dream is to be a doctor, to save lives, to help people, to help my community, and to help my country.

My interest in becoming a doctor has a lot to do with my parents struggle. They never went to college, and because of that they have suffered a lot of hardship. They inspire me to better myself. After coming to American my mom faced many problems. She didn't speak English and couldn't find a good job. However, she never quit, because as a child she had it much worse. She has taught me that life can feel like a series of challenges, they may seem impossible to overcome, but in fact, they are the easiest to conquer. From my own experiences, I have realized that a single person can help you to overcome these obstacles. I want to be that person, and I hope to influence those around me, I know that as a doctor, I will affect many lives, hopefully in a positive way, and this makes me want to do this even more.

I believe that I have qualities that would make me a great doctor, beside the fact that I love science and love to learn new things every day. My pediatrician, Dr. Marcantonio, embodies what I believe to be the ideal pediatrician. She is empathic, respectful, honest, kind, an excellent listener and very intelligent. Those are traits, which I find to be necessary for a doctor to care and cure their patients. It is important to be able to listen to your patients so that you can fully understand the situation and be able to help knowing that you have the whole story. It is also important to be honest and respectful, so that your patients can feel safe with you and confide in your decision. My family has taught me many things; among those are respect, patience, honesty, modesty, and generosity. I hope that these traits will allow me to be a fine doctor.

I have seen many people suffer without hope for a cure. Many of them I've seen in the Dominican Republic. When people get sick they must pay for everything themselves and most of them can't afford the proper healthcare. What I want to do in the future is to help these people who cannot afford it. Quality health care is hard to come by in many countries, it is an idea I've had in my mind since I was very young and everyday it grows stronger.

Do you think I've answered all the questions? Any thoughts on it would be very very helpful.
In return I'll read ur esay. just post a link along with your comment
colorfuloving 6 / 31  
hiii (:
btw, thanks for all the help/encouragement about my essays :']

alrighty now for your essay! (I broke it up for easier readability hehe)
--------------------
I have never experienced a deep regret; I have never felt that a failure was too big to overcome. If ever there were something to regret, that would be not following my dreams. <-- (sounds a tad awkward)

It's not that my parents weren't happy, but that they could have been much happier if they had been able to pursue their dreams. My mom always tells me to do what I needed to do to accomplish my goals and follow my dreams. My dream is to be a doctor, to save lives, to help people, to help my community, and to help my country. (lots of "dream" in a row hehe)

My interest in becoming a doctor has a lot to do with my parents' struggle.

She has taught me that life can feel like a series of challenges - they may seem impossible to overcome, but in fact, they are the easiest (how so?) to conquer.

She is empathic, respectful, honest, kind, an excellent listener and very intelligent. Those are traits, which I find to be necessary for a doctor to care and cure their patients. It is important to be able to listen to your patients so that you can fully understand the situation and be able to help knowing that you have the whole story. It is also important to be honest and respectful, so that your patients can feel safe with you and confide in your decision. (You should avoid using "you"s and "your"s. It kind of throws off the vibe... maybe switch to "one" or "one's"? that may just be me though loll)

My family has taught me many things; among those are respect, patience, honesty, modesty, and generosity. I hope that these traits will allow me to be a fine doctor.

I have seen many people suffer without hope for a cure. Many of them I've seen in the Dominican Republic. (<-- awkward)
--------------------

I really like the ideas in this essay (: I think you might want to make your thoughts a bit more coherent though. You may want to cut down on the abundance of adjectives that describe your family/pediatrician - although those are all great, it's better to "show" how those characteristics are embodied rather than just "tell", you know what I mean? Also, I think you could use a better conclusion sentence (or even a few sentences) that really wrap up your whole argument/thought process. It ends a bit abruptly :3

----------

I hope my suggestions helped, and I wish you the best of luck as well! [[: I admire your career goals.
sasha91 - / 1  
i just want to tell you that there are two essay topics and the two essays together have to be four pages...

in that case, the essay is fine in length in length

i dont know if this helps but i think you should talk more about yourself instead of the people in your life...

for example, you can talk about how you are affected by Dr. Marcantonio's work and the experiences you had that helped you determine you want a career in medicine...

hope this helps
OP Jd87rh 11 / 55  
thanks, I didn't know that. I thoguh you only had to choose one.
OP Jd87rh 11 / 55  
thank you all.
But i've decided nott o aply for the BAMD program because my teachers couldn't get the recommendations in on time.

thank you though

Home / Undergraduate / "Characteristics of a doctor" Brooklyn B.A.-M.D. Program Essay