"As a cheerleader" - FSU & Summer Bridge CARE Essay

sofiaagarciaa 1 / 3  
Normal Undergrad Admissions:

Packed like sardines, we huddled together in the darkness. The enemy could be heard just outside. We muttered our lasts words as the noise stopped. Our adversaries shuffled off stage. After an uncomfortable silence, our song began blaring; Judgment Day had arrived. We charged on stage and our preparation became evident. Our glitter sparkled in perfect unison as we "pranced" and "flipped" around for two and a half minutes. blow-horns and cowbells proceeded. This is competitive cheerleading.

As a cheerleader, I have single-handedly destroyed the ozone with my hair spray, along with blinded every human who has gazed upon my thoroughly sparkled body. It has been nine years now, since I first started bathing in glitter. These unhealthy habits have contributed to the establishment of cheerleader stereotypes. The "Bring it On!" sequels don't help our cause. We are the joke of society.

What people do not realize is during those two and a half minutes, we perform a routine that requires months of intense preparation. The "prancing" is meticulously choreographed, and the "flips" have been perfected after weekly twelve hour practices. Throwing girls ten to fifteen feet in the air during stunts qualifies as the norm. A severe injury in basketball may lead to a torn ACL; a severe injury in cheerleading may lead to a broken neck, or paralysis.

Since I was eight years old I have committed myself to a traveling, all-girl competitive cheerleading team. My insatiable desire to cheer has provided a foundation for my work ethic. Rather than sacrificing schoolwork or time with my friends, cheering six days a week has only inspired me balance my time efficiently. Practice makes most arduous tasks seem manageable. Studying for an AP Psychology test pales in comparison to spending hours in an inferno, often referred to as a "gym."

My team is my family. We bicker, brawl, and love each other. Perseverance and dedication as a tightly knit entity has allowed us to bring home several National Championships. This success has brought our team together. Being one of the oldest girls on my team, and the gym, I set an example to every boy and girl in our program. My dedication and enthusiasm for this sport does not go unnoticed.

Cheerleading has gifted me with multiple strengths that help me physically and intellectually. From performing in front of at least a thousand people to preparing for an AP test, nothing limits my capabilities.

Summer Bridge Program Essay: (the prompt is my interest in the program, i am not done yet but please give feedback)

As an anticipated first-generation college student, the Summer Bridge Program is a remarkable opportunity. Summer term has always interested me, and this program can help me tremendously. After an severe decrease in my family's income, I had to switch from an all-girl private school to public education. This was a huge change in my educational environment and the most challenging part was becoming accustomed to the atmosphere. I decided to test myself and take three AP courses and two honors classes. My parents were extremely pleased with my decision and after passing my AP exams and receiving an AP Scholar Award, they could only hope that I would be their first child to get an education passed Community College.

For the first time, I have an opportunity to get the education no one in my family has received, to take part in something my parents could only dream of. This program supports students just like me, those who want to better themselves with an education and prove themselves.
Zubaida 18 / 34  
Since I was eight years old, I have committed

My dedication and enthusiasm for this sport doesdo (the subject is plural, so use do not does) not go unnoticed.

After ana severe decrease in my family's income, I had

Good Luck
OP sofiaagarciaa 1 / 3  
lol thank youu but i've completely changed my summer bridge essay so no need to worry about thattt
alexla 7 / 17  
Your FSU essay exemplifies the significance of cheerleading to you. First thing I noticed before I forget is the use of "packed like sardines." I'm sorry but it might be considered cliche? You've got good ideas; I highly recommend you use another simile or start out a bit differently. I think it was good strategy on your part to put down everything else in order to elevate cheerleading. Plus, the personal development such as friends and the devotion you put into cheerleading clearly show the significance of the extracurricular and how it molded you into the person you are today.

Best of luck!

Home / Undergraduate / "As a cheerleader" - FSU & Summer Bridge CARE Essay