"Chemistry through Cooking" UIUC Academic interests essay

iwantcollege 4 / 11  
Prompt: please discuss your academic interests:
When I was seven, I had made my first Cucidati. By the age of ten, I had mastered the art of homemade spaghetti and meatballs. By the time I was fourteen, I could prepare an entire thanksgiving meal with the help of my grandmother. As a child, I was introduced to the love of cooking through my grandmother. Whether it was Thanksgiving, or just a Sunday meal, I was always in the kitchen helping her prepare some sort of Sicilian delicacy. My passion for cooking followed me into high school where I was adamant on becoming a chef. This passion changed during my sophomore year however, when I discovered the excitement and gratitude of academia. From my first experiment in Chemistry class, I was hooked. I finally found a subject that satisfied all my multifaceted interests.

My love for mixing and measuring was quenched through Chemistry. But what specifically did I want to do with chemistry? During the summer of my freshman and sophomore year, I had been a volunteer baker at my mother's church. I knew I loved helping people, so what about a carrier in Medicine? Doctors worked so much though, and I loved being with my family. I knew that that lifestyle would not work for me. As I was contemplating my many choices, it struck me: a Pharmacist! As a pharmacist, I would be able to do the two things I loved: helping people, and using chemistry.

As I look back, I realize that although my once lifelong dream to become a chef has physically changed, at its core, my interest has not; in fact, it has only evolved into something that satisfies all my interests academically and socially. Through Chemistry, I am confident that I will be able to grow as a scientist, and chef.
When I was seven, I had made my first Cucidati.

This passion changed during my sophomore year however, when I discovered the excitement and gratitude of academia. ==I don't think 'gratitude' fits here, are you sure that's the word you want?

But what, specifically, did I want to do with chemistry?

During the summer of my freshman and sophomore year, I washad been a volunteer baker at my mother's church.

I knew I loved helping people, so what about a carrier in Medicine?---Quite an abrupt topic change!

As I look back, I realize that although my once lifelong dream of becoming a chef has...

I like how you tied these together, the cooking and chemistry, pharmacist.
Good luck in school!

Home / Undergraduate / "Chemistry through Cooking" UIUC Academic interests essay