Chemistry department and research opportunities, Emory Supplement (250 words)

kakashi1992 3 / 10  
I'm at 293 words and it's supposed to be at 250.
Please help me make this essay within the word limit! <3

1. Many students decide to apply to Emory University based on our size, location, reputation, and yes, the weather. Besides these valid reasons as a possible college choice, why is Emory University a particularly good match for you?

Academically, Emory attracts me because of its world-renown Chemistry department and research opportunities. As a future physician, close proximity to the Centers for Disease Control and Emory University Hospital would provide valuable research and volunteer experience. Emory's chemistry department also impresses me since students who receive a 4/5 in AP Chemistry can enroll in Organic Chemistry as freshmen--a unique opportunity which paves the way for BS/MS degrees.

As a potential biomedical engineering major, Emory's resources and 4-2 partnerships with Georgia Tech would allow me to participate and collaborate with innovators on unique research projects and receive a world-class engineering education. The Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering and INSPIRE, SURE, and SIRE initiatives also provide unique opportunities to conduct research with experts on stem cells, an area that greatly interests me.

Emory also matches my volunteer and environmental interests. After volunteering at Middlesex Hospital near my hometown, Codman Square Health Center during the Harvard Secondary School Program, and the Hattie Larlham Foundation (assisting mentally and physically disabled children) near my boarding school, I fully realize the richness volunteering brings to one's life and the impact one's compassion can have on a community. The presidential service award, and highest number of graduates going into the Peace Corps illustrates Emory's commitment to service, a commitment I highly value.

Lastly, Emory's environmentally friendly practices are also aligned with my personal beliefs. As a Green Campus Action Team (GCAT) member, I helped with Technology Drives (to recycle old computer parts), battery donations, and reducing the energy intake of our campus.Once every week, I would also empty the paper and cans from our dormitory's recycling bins. Although it wasn't particularly glamorous, recycling taught me that personal sacrifices must be made for the benefit of greater society.
garfunkel129 5 / 18  
I don't think you need to say what you learned from your experience volunteering; you just need to say why you Emory is a good match. You could probably merge the last two paragraphs somehow to cut down the length.

Good luck!

And you should take a peek at my essays, if you would be so kind =)
Thanks!
garfunkel129 5 / 18  
I feel like you're just telling them what they already know... but that's kind of the point, I suppose. Also, I'm not sure you need "Every week, I would also empty our dormitory's recycling bins." It seems a bit abrupt. Maybe try to connect your essay more? Give it more "flow," if you will.

Academically, Emory attracts me because of its world-renowned Chemistry department and research opportunities.

Home / Undergraduate / Chemistry department and research opportunities, Emory Supplement (250 words)