'Chemistry and Mathematics' - UChicago supplement

historyfreak13 4 / 11  
Ok so I have an idea that I want to display how I have always wondered what being in love truly means because like there are so many adaptions in book movies and such. Also everyone has such a different look on it, especially my parents. And i am stumped and i mean really stumped I have writers block how do u think I should continue from here. Also what do u think of it so far?

ESSAY OPTION 2.
Heisenberg claims that you cannot know both the position and momentum of an electron with total certainty. Choose two other concepts that cannot be known simultaneously and discuss the implications. (Do not consider yourself limited to the field of physics).

Inspired by Doran Bennett, BS'07 Chemistry and Mathematics.

There is a feeling that many of old and new dream of. Both men and women alike want to grasp and be part of the very idea, very concept of it. What I speak of is being in love. It is such a small word yet it brings so much to an individual. While the victims of the worst are tainted with the reminisces of betrayal and loss at their feet, there are the ones who blossom, who feel the surging warmth of the sudden flush, burning bright across their complexion. Of course I have never been in love, never felt its highs or lows. But I do wonder.

Sometimes I ponder on the implications, the causes, the "what ifs". Would I achieve love if I were more attractive? If I was more sociable? More attentive? Or does it have nothing to do with us at all; could the limits of our happiness be victim to the scarred palms of fate?

The true cause can never be known. Neither can the fate of it. Not until that love meets an end. Isn't that what is always shown. No matter the conditions, those in love can never know what comes next, nor what ignites the love at all. For centuries, authors, directors, filmmakers, painters, sculptures, writers, poets, you name it all, have envisioned their own painting of the answers, but it is all too hazy.
cgivens6 1 / 2  
I love the concept behind your essay! Very interesting.
I do think, though, that a lot of your commentary is very vague.
While the victims of the worst are tainted with the reminisces of betrayal and loss at their feet, there are the ones who blossom, who feel the surging warmth of the sudden flush, burning bright across their complexion.

I feel like you're talking about lots of different things with this. I think you're trying to talk about many different kinds of love in different kinds of relationships, but giving it the same name.

you name it all is unnecessary.
Some of your language is nice, could the limits of our happiness be victim to the scarred palms of fate , but there are a few cliches. There is a feeling that many of old and new dream of.

Overall, nice concept, it just needs more, ya know?
(: Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Chemistry and Mathematics' - UChicago supplement