'Chemistry and new people' - Why do I want to apply to Emory University?

joke0611 5 / 18  
Many students decide to apply to Emory University based on our size, location, reputation, and yes, the weather. Besides these valid reasons as a possible college choice, why is Emory University a particularly good match for you.

What does Emory University not have to offer? From what I can tell it seems that Emory has everything. Believe it or not, I could attend college in a small town and at the same time in a big metropolitan city. I find the Oxford College option very appealing. I do not have to go straight into the big city life, but can live on a small campus with a close-knit community. Most of my classes won't have more than 30 students. Therefore, I know the professors will give me the close personal attention that I need to succeed in the classes.

At the same time Emory will give me the chance to have hands on experience on various subjects instead of just being limited to the classroom. I could broaden my knowledge in the labs, library and trips into town. Another great opportunity would be to participate in the theory/practice/service learning (TPSL) courses. Although chemistry is usually a course done in the classroom and lab I could explore other approaches to the subject such as working on a biodiesal project for the Earth Day celebration that a fellow Emory student, Brenda Harman, was able to conduct. I would love to experience what else is out there in the world besides what is just on the campus or what I am already familiar with. I could achieve this goal by participating in the study abroad program. I've realized that college is the only time I will have to travel abroad for a semester or even a year. I might as well take advantage of the opportunity to travel and learn in a new, unfamiliar country. I could possibly take part in Chemistry Studies in Italy. I have only been to Italy once, but I will be able to appreciate the culture more by staying there for months and also attending school.

Not only I am interested in what the courses will bring to my education, but I am also looking forward to the many connections that Emory will give me during my time at the school and after I graduate. Since there is a well-noted hospital on campus I will have the chance to attain a multitude of opportunities for an internship. I could hopefully continue my volunteer work at the hospital or shadow a doctor to see what it really takes to be a doctor. And I am very interested in undergraduate research and I believe that Emory has all the resources I need. I enjoy discovering about new concepts about diseases and the various things that exist in the world.

I also enjoy meeting new people. Emory is diverse in their academics and in the community of people. There is about 50% of minorities on both the Oxford and Emory campus. That will give me even a better chance to learn and discover other things about people's various cultures. I am open to learn more and open my mind to other people's perspectives when necessary.

Then Atlanta has so much to offer besides for just entertainment. There are about 700 fortune 500 companies that exist in Atlanta. That gives me at least 700 chances to get a job, 700 ways to learn something new about the business world, and 700 ways to make some sort of a connection for my future career. I want to broaden my knowledge on other topics besides what I am already comfortable with. I will discover the town by going to museums, attending festivals, and just try new things while I am there on the campus and the city itself.

I somehow did this in less than an hour. The grammar may be a lil off. I need some feedback please to make sure it answers the prompt effectively. Thank you in advance!
debaterchick09 7 / 29  
I would revise your intro paragraph. The prompt states: based on our size, location, reputation, and yes, the weather. Besides these valid reasons.,,,, Your intro paragraph you talk about the location of the school and the size of the classes. There were alot of "I also" try to spice it up and change the starting of some of your sentences.

"then Atlanta" take out then. some of this paragraph also falls in the location category of the prompt so you might want to take it out.

This a great essay! Needs some polishing, but it shows Emory that you have interest and did your research. Good job :)
OP joke0611 5 / 18  
thank you for the advice! for some reason I have the tendancy to repeat phrases.
I do not have to go straight into big city life, but can live on a small campus within a close-knit community.

Emory will give me the chance to have hands on experience on various subjects, instead of just being limited to the classroom.

I have already been to Italy once, but I will be able to appreciate the culture more by staying there for months and also attending school.

I could hopefully continue my volunteer work at the hospital or shadow a doctor to see what it really takes to be one .

That will give me a better chance to learn and discover things about people's various cultures. I am open to learning more and opening my mind to other people's perspectives.

I will discover the town by going to museums, attending festivals, and just trying new things while I am there on campus and the city itself.

:)

Kevin
princetongirl /  
a lot of your essay has stuff about location and size...Since the questions says besides, try to write about something else...
Also when you say, will give me "hands on experience", its kind of vague..Try to explain the experience...
Talking about the courses and the study abroad program is a great idea...
Finally, your last paragragh is completely on atlanta...so revise that!
Good Luck! :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Chemistry and new people' - Why do I want to apply to Emory University?