"Chess is central to my identity"; UIUC - Get to know you better

akhilles97 2 / 6  
Tell us about one interest or experience of yours that allows us to get to know you better as an individual. Please limit your response to approximately 300 words.

When I first learned the game of chess 6 years ago, I dismissed it as a boring diversion from more entertaining forms of human competition such as baseball. However, over the years, I have grown to appreciate the artistry and finesse that chess demands. Chess is the purest test of mental strength between two people, which appealed to my competitive nature. In every game of chess that I play, I expect to win, which motivates me to improve my game and become a better player. Chess also allows me to view situations from different perspectives as any chess position can be analyzed through various mindsets. Through playing chess, I was able to become a better problem solver as I improved my analytical power along with my creative capacity.

Chess was also essential in helping me recognize my identity. The chess piece that I relate to most is the knight. The knight exhibits great range and power but its primary purpose is to serve as a unifying force: to provide synergy to the surrounding pieces. Similarly, I enhance the strengths of others around me by providing support and leadership. Although the knight can function as a one man army, its true potential lies in its ability to consolidate all the pieces into a combined effort, which is comparable to me. Knights also inspire me to be selfless and to focus on the greater cause since they are often sacrificed to weaken enemy defenses; they enable the bishops and rooks to crash through to the enemy king. My view of the chess board as a microcosm of the universe may be imperfect but it helps me to find my place in the world.
thenewdude 13 / 59  
which appealed to my competitive nature --- which appeals to my competitive nature

Through playing chess, I was able to become a better problem solver as I improved my analytical power along with my creative capacity --- Through playing chess, I have become become a better problem solver as I improved my analytic power along with my creative capacity.

Chess was also essential in helping me recognize my identity. The chess piece that I relate to most is the knight -- Chess was also essential in helping me recognize my identity; the chess piece that I relate to most is the knight.

Similarly, I enhance the strengths of others around me by providing support and leadership -- Similarly, I enhance the strengths of others around me by providing support, often through leadership. (not sure about this though)

Besides the above grammatical errors, I think your essay puts across your message effectively. Good job!

Please take a look at my Lafayette supplement:)
OP akhilles97 2 / 6  
Thanks for your help :D
I made the changes necessary and made a few other little tweaks and submitted my application.
I'm not sure how this exactly works but I think I shall close the thread now since I already submitted.

Home / Undergraduate / "Chess is central to my identity"; UIUC - Get to know you better