U Chicago-- Third thing between living and dreaming

aripeters17 4 / 10  
Spanish poet Antonio Machado wrote, 'Between living and dreaming there is a third thing. Guess it.' Give us your guess.

Lucid dreaming is a phenomenon that occurs when one realizes they are dreaming, but does not wake up. It then becomes possible for the dreamer to control the dream, and therefore do anything they can possibly imagine. I believe art is the equivalent of lucid dreaming for people when they are awake. Without art, life is bleak at best. But with it, living turns into a mystical quest full of adventure and a roller coaster of emotions. I use art as a general term, because each person on this Earth has their own personal taste, and is affected by different things. Some people are moved my music, whereas others prefer movies or paintings.

Scientists relate lucid dreaming to out of body experiences. In a way, art is also a constant out of body experience. Certain art can take us out of our bodies and our strict self-realities to another place entirely. That is why art is the third thing between living and dreaming. It creates an impenetrable bond between the world of our dreams and fantasies and the world of the living. Many artists would have no inspiration for their work if it weren't for their imagination; but would have no imagination if it weren't for art. So you see, there is an undeniable cycle between real and the make-believe that can only be made sense of by interpretation. This interpretation is all art as we know it.

Some people connect art to beauty, but they could not be more wrong. Not all in life is beautiful, not even our dreams. There is bound to be the occasional nightmare, and with it, the occasional frightening masterpiece. I define art as something that causes emotion without actual interaction. From time to time, real art will inspire doubt or fear within its audience. That's because we are all s terrified of change and the unknown. Since dreams are caused by the actions of the subconscious part of our brain, what we dream is always unknown, and often unexpected. So it is only natural that sometimes art arouses the same feelings while we are awake, especially if it is the true link between the harsh lines of reality and the blurred outlines of our dreams.

I would argue that reality is truly the blurred picture-we never fully understand anything about it. If that is the case, art is a pair of glasses that helps us to see things for what they are. Not only that, but art is a two-way path between our ethereal imagination and our banal "awake" existence. Without it, we all fumble about in the dark looking for a light switch we will never find.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Wow! You have a very well-written paper here. Nice critical thinking, you sound mature and educated. I cannot find any grammatical errors.

I would work on your conclusion a bit more, "tie in" your introduction, mention the dreaming. I think that would make your paper perfect.

Great job!

Home / Undergraduate / U Chicago-- Third thing between living and dreaming