Every child is preprogrammed ; UC/Describe the world you come from

lovepova 1 / -  
Hey guys, new to the Essay Forum. Thank you and all your reviews will be highly appreciated. Will also do the same to return favor.

Born in a typical Chinese family, I was raised to be common like everyone else. In my hometown, Harbin, every child is preprogrammed to go through the same routine of studying hard and obtaining good exam grades for the next ten years until they secure a place in a profitable job. However, I have always been fascinated by the diverse notions and feelings conveyed by cartoon and wished to run my own cartoon studio someday, fabricating moving stories. As expected, my deeds of embracing my specialty were frowned upon because my family thought such irrelevance would cause me to lose out in the competitive society that was filled with unfairness and material wants.

I caught a glimpse of hope when knowing about the Chinese Scholar Exchange Program to grant full scholarship for attending middle school and high school in Singapore. I spent three months preparing for the selection by going through mock interviews and thinking clearly of what I would be in Singapore. On that day, sitting upright and clinging to my knees, a fourteen-year-old me answered the questions of the interviewers with nerves and confidence. At the end, when they showed me a smile of recognition, I knew I had seized the opportunity to change my life.

In 2009, I came to Singapore with my suitcase and curiosity. I was greeted by a completely different culture that welcomes diversity and where people are charitable, tolerable and knowledgeable about what is happening around the world. In Singapore, I could dust off my love in cartoon buried deep in my heart and dream outward. During my secondary school, while studying hard in class, I joined different clubs such as drama and video production. I even had the chance to produce a mini cartoon film to raise environmental awareness for the boarders in our hostel, which has won great compliment, deepening my enduring desire to develop my talent in cartoon.

As I learn from the fresh culture in Singapore and benefit from it, I think of my own countrymen who are still constrained in the stale conventions and unaware of the power that their special talents and passion can possibly bring them. This becomes a big reason why I insist on producing cartoons. From my perspective, cartoons are enlightening with free style of expressions and immense space for imagination. They have effectively shaped my characters and enriched my mind since childhood. Via cartoons, I want to show my countrymen as well as the world the important values I perceive such as that of courage, charity, fairness and other simple but indispensable qualities in life. My determination further motivates me to apply for the universities in US where I can get exposure to the most advanced business and cartoon culture, which will help me fulfill my dream to the fullest and ultimately make the world a better place to live in.
Born in a typical Chinese family, I was raised to be common like everyone else.

What do you mean by "common"... that's not very clear :(

In my hometown, Harbin, every child is preprogrammed to go through the sameput on a routine ofthat gets them to studystudying hard andfor obtaining good exam grades for the next ten years until they secure a place in a profitablesuccessful job.

However, I have always been fascinated by the diverse notions and feelings conveyed by cartoons and wished toif I could run my own cartoon studio someday, fabricating moving stories.

Very interesting :)

As expected, my deeds of embracing my specialty werethis inclination of mine made never ending frowns on the faces offrowned upon because my family thoughtsuch irrelevance would cause me to lose out in the competitive society that was filled with unfairness and material wantsbecause their stereotyp thinking made them believe that it would be an inappropriate career for me to pursue.

Home / Undergraduate / Every child is preprogrammed ; UC/Describe the world you come from