"China, the country to study in" - Studying Abroad Honors Program Essay

swimfast92 2 / 3  
China would be a country that I would be enthralled to study within. Last year I was able to travel to the TanGgu, Bin Hai District of China for two weeks as part of a cultural exchange program with my school. After those two weeks I felt compelled to go back with a goal in mind for the future. After hiking an extremely unmaintained portion of the Great Wall in a rural part of China I learned of the struggles of many farmers in the area. The farmers whom reside in especially remote areas of the country suffer greatly from droughts which frequently plague the area. Being so far removed from any other food, or service resources, they are dependant on the crops that they grow for sustanance. Without rain these farmers have no way to support or feed their families. In returning to China for a semester abroad I would hope to implement my future studies in the fields of nutrition, food science and biochemistry to help develop an extremely low cost system off of which these families could thrive.

In addition to using my prior observations of parts of the Chinese culture in order to help the people living in more rural areas of China, I hope to gain further knowledge of the business aspects within the larger cities in China. The rapid paced manufacturing society in combination with their diverse menu selection intrigue me. How is a culture able to survive with a diet lacking in carbohydrates yet filled with monosodium glutamate? I would be interested in collaborating with Chinese doctors and scientists in studying the positive and negative health benefits of the Chinese diet. I would hope to gain additional knowledge on their cultural beliefs and differences from the American ways of life, and delve into philosopical reasons for the differences between the Chinese and American ways of life.
GroovyStar 2 / 3  
In addition to using my prior observations of parts of the Chinese culture in order to help the people living in more rural areas of China, I hope to gain further knowledge of the business aspects within the larger cities in China. The rapidly paced manufacturing society and its diverse menu selection intrigue me.

The farmers who reside in especially remote areas of the country suffer greatly from droughts that frequently plague those areas.
------
Overall, I love how I really learned more about China just by reading your essay. Good job and good luck! =)
China would be is a country that I would be enthralled to study within.
Actually, you are not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition, but people break that rule all the time. Still, you can do this if you want to:

China would be is a country in which I would be enthralled to study.

... they grow for sustenance .

the positive and negative health benefits consequences of the Chinese diet. ----You can't have negative benefits... so I had to change it to consequences, which can be positive or negtative.-------Um... I don't know about people's diet in Chine, really... but I think it is not the same as the food you get at Chinese Restaurants in America...

I would hope to gain additional knowledge on their cultural beliefs and differences from the American ways of life, and delve into philosophical reasons for the differences between the Chinese and American ways of life.---Awesome! Great job...

Home / Undergraduate / "China, the country to study in" - Studying Abroad Honors Program Essay