"China needs hospice." - Issue of Importance to You -- UT Essay B

li_renee 3 / 5  
Choose an issue of importance to you-the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope-and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

Here is my essay, do give me some helpful pointers! Thanks a lot!

China's economy and society has been evolving immensely since the 1970s; I, born and brought up in Beijing, have witnessed countless dramatic changes in my 18-year life. However, while rapid demographic structure transition taking place, the construction of corresponding facilities can not keep up with the tempo. This unbalance is a significant issue to consider for my society and my country, and to my knowledge, hospice is the most important aspect and is in urgency to be improved.

I first heard about hospice in my ethics elective. In the first class I was told that of all the people die every year, about one third of them pass out at home, one third in hospitals, and the others loose their lives while struggling in ambulances, according to a survey conducted by Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. It is miserable of those people to die in fears without preparation. Everyone deserves a happy ending of life. That is the first reason why hospice is of notable significance to China, a country bearing a death toll of 9,000,000 per year. At hospices, terminal patients receive both physical and mental care, accept the truth of death and carry out last wishes. In that way all those patient will leave the world peacefully and dignifiedly without regrets. Less sufferings, more harmony.

Another reason for the notable significance of hospice to China is that the widespread of hospice will lead to improvements in the civil ideology, particularly in the perception of death. In 2008, primarily by means of questionnaires, I conducted a research on public opinions on hospice in China with my group, finding out that a large percentage of survey participants in Beijing considered death horrible and avoided mentioning it, and that of senior citizens is even higher. All the time the issue of death distracts Chinese people; hospice exactly explains death in acceptable ways for example, death is a part of life which is as splendid as the others. Getting to know hospice and acknowledge it, more the Ages in China will live in peace and comfort in their old age, other people will face death calmly and respect life. The evolution of ideology will definitely result in enrichments of civil spiritual lives.

China needs hospice. For two years I have been volunteering in Chaoyangmen Hospital 2nd inpatient area, one of the most prestigious hospices in Beijing. I have heard the elderly crying, sensed their loneliness, and witnessed two of them died. Although having ripen in the last 20 years from its present in China, hospice, is still wanting. I myself is pretty clear about the importance of hospice to China, and I really hope to make contributions to it, more than being a volunteer.
m2593 1 / 1  
The topic seems interesting enough. However, I cannot help but feel that all you are doing is giving me a little history session. I would like to see more of YOU in the essay.
...them pass out at home, one third in hospitals, and the others loose lose their lives while struggling..

... witnessed two of their death s. Although having ripened in the last 20 years from its present in China, hospice, is still wanting. ----in what way is it lacking? You should compare it to hospice provided in other nations, or you should give some more specific examples of how it is insufficient.

I think it would be great to cite at least 1 or 2 research articles in this paper. It is not required, but it would make it so impressive!

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "China needs hospice." - Issue of Importance to You -- UT Essay B