Chinese exchange students - BARNARD SUPPLEMENTS

xxnina22796xx 3 / 4  
Please offer any honest feedback and constructive criticism. It would be greatly appreciated! I hope it does not sound like I hate men in these essays because that is definitely not the message that I'm trying to convey!

How did you first learn about Barnard College and what factors have influenced your decision to apply? Why do you think the College would be a good match for you? (Limit 250 words)

I sat contemplating the appropriate decorations for the Chinese exchange students who were to visit Mamaroneck High School when my teacher, Ms. Zhao brought up college. I dreaded the subject because unlike those classmates who were certain of their futures, I was completely stranded and unsure towards my years beyond graduation. That was when Ms. Zhao suggested Barnard College, a small women's liberal arts college that she attended. Located in Manhattan, where every adventure is merely a subway ride away and the sister school to Columbia University, I was intrigued. Thus I attended the Barnard College information meeting, eager to learn more about this hidden treasure. As the meeting concluded, I was certain that Barnard was the college that I'd been searching for. At Barnard I would be able to enjoy the sense of a tight-knit community, while still being able to obtain the resources of a large university. Anxious to interact and connect with my classmates and professors, I fell in love with the small class sizes at Barnard, as well as its personalized and guided curriculum. I feel that at Barnard, I'll be able to explore new realms of interest and grow as an individual. However, I was most captivated by Barnard's emphasis on women empowerment, as it differed so drastically from the traditional Chinese principles that I was raised under. Having been told that women are secondary to men all my life, I am eager to work alongside motivated women at Barnard to discover our full potential.

Pick one woman in history or fiction to converse with for an hour and explain your choice. What would you talk about? (Limit 250 words)
I'd imagine us to share a pot of traditional Chinese tea in the privacy of her former residence in Shaoxing, China. She'd stand momentarily by her desk, fingertips sliding across the familiar surface, reminiscing about the nights that she sat writing feminist essays and poems before joining me in the dining room. I'd smile elatedly, honored to be with China's symbol of women independence, Qiu Jin. Living during a time in which women were oppressed through the lack of education and bound feet, Qiu Jin fought for women's rights and independence through her radical feminist magazine. I'm inspired by her strength, beauty, selflessness, and most of all bravery. How did she find the courage to break free from the boundaries set by her parents and culture? We would immerse ourselves in conversation, discussing how much women rights have advanced since 1907, but also what further improvements could be made. Foot binding has long been abolished, and education opportunities for women have increased significantly; yet favoritism towards the male gender remains highly prevalent in China. There are still Chinese parents, like my own, who pressure their daughters to marry based on a man's wealth. A victim of an involuntary marriage herself, I'd be anxious to know how she feels about the remaining issue. The hour would quickly slip by, leaving me yearning for another. As we part ways, I'd be infected with her courage and ignited with the will to take advantage of the privileges offered by my present time period.

Alumna and writer Anna Quindlen says that she "majored in unafraid" at Barnard. Tell us about a time when you majored in unafraid. (Limit 250 words)

I sat doing my homework at a table behind the counter of my parent's restaurant on a busy Friday night. There was a crowd congregating in front of the register, some customers waiting to be seated for dinner while others here to pick up their orders. As my mother frantically worked to get orders out the door, the high-pitch ring of the telephone blared.

My father briskly walked by, four deliveries in hand and called out, "Marina, can you please get that?"
I froze pencil in hand, looking up with surprise. Did he really want me, a thirteen year old girl at the time, to pick up the phone and interact with a stranger? What if I stuttered?

The phone rang a second time.
I looked around for someone to save me, for a light to open out of the ceiling and for my savior to come flying down. Of course nothing happened. There was a lump in my throat. My heart thudded rapidly in my chest. What if I entered the wrong order?

A third time.
Taking a deep breath, I picked up the phone and meekly said, "Little Kitchen, how may I help you?"
Although I needed my mother's guidance for the first couple of calls, I soon grew accustomed to communicating with customers. As the years went by, I grew more experienced and learned to problem solve. By majoring in unafraid four years ago, I've been able to expand my horizons and gain an essential life skill.

Community - educational, geographic, religious, political, ethnic, or other - can define an individual's experience and influence her journey. How has your community, as you identify it, shaped your perspective? (limit 250 words)

I grew up in a traditional Chinese household with three sisters and no brothers. Thus being a family of girls, we were sheltered from a lot of things, restricted from certain activities. Sleepovers were off limits, even if it was at our cousin's place. Playing drums was not allowed, and neither was whistling as they were deemed "inappropriate for a girl". Never voice your opinion, my parents said, just smile and agree politely. Starting from a young age, my mother taught me that men are the breadwinners of the family. A woman's role is to merely be the secondary supporter. She should stay home and raise the children, the typical housewife as one may call it. When choosing a husband, look at the wealth of his family. Do they own property? A business? Since after all, money is always the cause of a failing marriage.

Despite my restricted upbringing, my opinion towards the role of women is drastically different. I believe that a woman has every right to voice her opinion, to express how she feels. Rather than depending on a man, a woman should aim to support herself, pursue an occupation of her dreams. It is due to my parent's belittlement of the female gender that I am fueled with the desire to prove them wrong. I wish to show them that a woman can be as successful as a man, that she can choose and walk upon her own path in life without being carried.
Musicpro - / 3 1  
About your "If I could meet any historical figure essay", The essay is very well done. The only issue I had with it was the "1907" refrence. I saw this as a way of priving that you know your stuff about this women or that you just looked it up an hour ago on wikipedia. i would instead change this to " How much women rights have advanced In the past 100 years" or "In the last century." Other than that, I loved it. I'm still going through the rest of your essays.

PS. Please take a look at my thread.

Home / Undergraduate / Chinese exchange students - BARNARD SUPPLEMENTS