"Chinese traditional culture and customs" - UMICH - Describe your community

HeXiaofang 1 / 3  
Hi, all. I'm new here.

China Traditions

Nowadays, Chinese traditional culture and customs are under the huge impact from outside world. For Chinese people, the cuisine they eat, the festivals they celebrate, the way they entertain themselves in and other lifestyles are much different from the Chinese traditional way. Consequently, I also have acquired a mix of experiences that placed my partway between Chinese and foreign cultures and customs.

What the Chinese eat is mainly composed of rice which is the traditional Chinese staple food and other Chinese dishes such as kung pao chicken. Now people, including me, will sometimes eat western food such as pizza or spaghetti in the restaurants, or even cooking western food at home. Usually I will choose to eat in western restaurants once a week and I do like the unique flavor of western food.

In addition, Chinese people do not confine themselves with only the traditional festivals such as the Spring Festival. They celebrate the Christmas as well no matter whether they are Christians or not. Inevitably, being influenced by this trend, I also participate in the ceremonies of western festivals besides those of our own. For example, on the eve of Christmas, I often join in an activity called Secret Santa in my institute.

Furthermore, Chinese people used to watch Beijing opera, but now most of the Chinese youth are more willing to listen to the pop music originating from western countries. However I am a bit different from them. I love appreciating light music consists of both Chinese and western musical elements.

So under the influences of western cultures and customs, some of my lifestyles have changed into western ways though I am a Chinese
bahynahj 1 / 3  
I think you need to elaborate on your place in the community
OP HeXiaofang 1 / 3  
yeah...
I think there is something wrong with the order of my content.

I changed and rewrote some.

I belong to the community which is a compound of Chinese and western cultures and customs. Under the huge impact from the outside world, some of the Chinese traditional lifestyles have changed into western ways. For instance, the staple food that most Chinese eat is mainly composed of rice, which is a tradition for several thousand years. But today Chinese people will sometimes eat western food such as pizza or spaghetti in the restaurants, or even cook them at home. Additionally, western festivals have swarmed into China. Besides the traditional festivals like the Spring Festival, people are enthusiastic about celebrating Christmas and Valentine's Day. Furthermore, Chinese people used to watch Beijing opera, but now most of the Chinese youth are more willing to listen to the pop music originating from western countries.

Inevitably, being influenced by this trend, I also have acquired a mix of experiences that placed my partway between Chinese and foreign cultures and customs. Usually I will choose to eat in western restaurants once a week and I do like the unique flavor of western food. I also participate in the ceremonies of western festivals besides those of our own. For example, on the eve of Christmas, I often join in an activity called Secret Santa in my institute. What's more, I love appreciating light music consisting of both Chinese and western musical elements. Consequently I have absorbed much western life elements that turned me into a non-traditional Chinese though some experts in the society are calling on resisting western influences.

Home / Undergraduate / "Chinese traditional culture and customs" - UMICH - Describe your community