why I choose MHC--MHC's why essay

jelly 5 / 11  
What kind of university shall I choose? I have been thinking about it for a long time. The first batch of universities I know is the renowned ones to Chinese, such as Ivy League, MIT, Stanford, etc, which undoubtedly arouse my great interest in American education. However, for me, they still lack a sense of belonging, for what I need is not only the high reputation and rich academic resources the university has in the international world, but also adequate chances to talk with the professors and excellent living and learning environment. Unlike my classmates, I have paid more attention to the Liberal Arts Colleges. Many of my schoolmates in the higher grades have applied for, studied in or graduated from MHC. Accordingly, from them I get to know more about MHC. I can still remember the admiration and appreciation in their eyes when talking about MHC. Firstly, the advantages are excellent schoolmates, responsible professors, and remarkable majors like Chemistry, Economy and Environment; while the disadvantage in their eyes is that the campus life is a little bit quiet, which in my eyes is good to study. All these are what I expect about a college. Then the story I read about Mary Lyon on the website enables me to make MHC as my first choice.

The story about Mary Lyon reminds me of the old memory in my childhood. She lost her father at the age of five, while I lost my mother at the same age. I do not remember my mother very well, for she always went out in the early morning and came back late, focusing on her chemical research. But after she left me, I then knew more about her. She, as a girl, was the first student who got the ticket for a university; and she, majoring in Pharmacy which was then dominated by men, got the diploma with the best scores in the grade. In this way, she proved her opinion that girls were also able to work well on science. Every time I visit her tomb and see her achievements inscribed on the tombstone, I will be so proud; what my mom accomplished is not only on the marble, but also in people's hearts. From then on, I worked harder and more earnestly in the hope that I could become an excellent girl just like mom.

All the things that I know about mom were told by my grandmother, another strong-minded and brave female in my family. My grandfather could not stand the grief of my mother's death and chose to commit suicide but failed; my grandmother then became the pillar of strength in the family. Born to be ill and weak, she never gave up in face of serious illness, even after my mother had gone. Moreover, she stood up against the anguish fearlessly and optimistically. However, the nightmare was still continuing. Right in the eleventh year after my mother had gone, my uncle passed away due to a certain serious illness. Considering my grandfather's feeling, my grandmother chose to hide the bad news and sob in the corner alone. I still remember that the last time I visited uncle in the hospital. He had already been unconscious, even failing to think of my name. Seeing the omnipotent man in my heart become so weak, I could not help crying. Holding me quietly, grandmother said "my little girl, don't be afraid. Be braver, like me, and nothing shall beat you down." A frail figure as she had, but she was the greatest woman I had ever known. As a mother, she made every effort to save her children's lives; as a grandmother, she told me to face difficulties and sufferings courageously with her own actions and words; as a woman, she won other's appreciation and admiration with her bravery and perseverance. Though she never boasted of anything, I knew she was mother's real enlightener.

Yes, women can do anything and make the world different. When I read those words from Mary, my heart was filled with the inspiring resonance. Those special experiences enable me to get the deep meaning hidden in the sentence which others can hardly understand. With the help of the prominent academic power and spiritual strength that have been passed on for tens of hundreds of years at MHC, I believe I will strive hard for my dream so as to continue my mom's ambition and grandma's spirit.

Thank you for reading!
The first batch of universities that come to mind are the American schools that are widely renowned in China, such as MIT, Stanford, and other schools that arouse my great interest in American education.

I think you should start a new paragraph after this: ...learning environment. right after that sentence, write one more sentence -- a sentence about wanting to achieve all that your Mom and grandma would want you to achieve. That way, when you mention it in the last paragraph is will give nice closure to the essay.

...proved her assertion that girls were just as able to achieve high standards in science.

...so as to continue in honor of my mom's ambition and grandma's spirit.
jwbx2yl 1 / 2  
hehe, hao chang de wen zhang .... wo jue de ...zuo wei why essay, you dian tai chang le...

Home / Undergraduate / why I choose MHC--MHC's why essay