'Choosing our friends' -Caltech Short answer (Ethical Dilemma)

banjofood 2 / 3  
I need help shortening it by about 50 words. If I get rid of the last 2 sentences it fits fine, but I feel like it is important to include.

We put too small a price in choosing who our friends are. We spend most of our time with our friends, especially when we are young, and who they are makes a vital impact on who we are. In my case, I am not really sure how I became friends with most of the people I know, but for the most part I am proud of the people I let be close to me. However, there was this one occasion where I had to choose between being the good guy by ratting out one friend on another or simply ignoring my ethical standpoints and letting something bad happen to a good person.

The trouble was with two friends of mine who did not like each other, let's call them Mr. Good and Mr. Bad. It all started when Mr. Bad told me he was going to get some friends of his to beat up Mr. Good. I did not know what to say or do, since nothing like that had ever happened to me before. I could take the easy way out by acting as if I never knew anything about it or I could do the right thing and risk getting myself beat up for telling on Mr. Bad. Although the choice was obvious, it was difficult for me because I was trading one friendship for another. They were both excellent friends to me and I did not want to get involved, but as time pressed on I knew what I had to do. I marched up to Mr. Good told him what I knew. From then on Mr. Bad and I never spoke again and Mr. Good and I are still friends to this day. When I look back to that day I never regret the decision I made and I will always do what is right even if it means putting myself in danger.
timurmukhtarov 2 / 4  
While I was reading an essay, I got a feeling that there is much more of what you can do with this essay besides deleting some words. I did not quite like last phrase: ''putting myself in danger''. For me this essay is more about making mature decisions rather than being in danger.

Also, it does not look good when you say that Mr. Bad was an excellent friend to you and after the incident you have never talked to him. May be you should say that you realized who Mr. Bad really was? I don't know anything about your situation, so if I am saying something unpleasant for you, I am sorry.

Help me with my essays if you can :D Just give them a read :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Choosing our friends' -Caltech Short answer (Ethical Dilemma)