Choosing Topic about meaningful Event (University of Florida Application)

kelseyxramirez 2 / 5  
I haven't written an essay yet, I just need some help deciding on what topic to choose...
I was thinking of either writing about a trip to Dominican Republic where I visited my dad's side of the family..and they happen to not have as much as we do and If I was to choose to write about this i would talk about how going there and seeing where they are and where my father has gotten in his life serves as some sort of encouragement...something along those lines

Or
How the experience of living with my father, alone, really made me more independent since he was never really around.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Wow, both of these topics would be great to write about, but I think the first one would be better only because you could do so much with it, like describing the country, customs, dress style, how your relatives lives are different from your own, what you have to be thankful for, etc.

Hmm, now that I think of it, the other topic would be great too, because you can tell how you became self sufficient, independent, had to learn good study habits, etc...How long does your essay have to be? If it's long, go with the first subject. If it is for a short essay, the second. I hope this was helpful! I look forward to reading whatever you write, as they both will surely be interesting!

:)
OP kelseyxramirez 2 / 5  
It's 400-500 words so it's pretty short.
I was just worried that the second topic wasn't "college application appropriate" but Thanks You Susan!
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello Keisey,

I really like the idea for your second idea. You are applying to a Florida University. Chances are they have heard the old country vs. new country story a zillion times as a large amount of applicants have some international ancestry. However, being raised by a single dad is far more rare. I cannot tell your sex by your name alone, but if you are a female, it would make your story soooo much more interesting. I am really looking forward to reading whichever essay you decide to go with.

Thanks,
admissionsessayadvice
ChibiRobo 1 / 5  
I have to go with admission2012 on this. With the word count limit, it might be easier to explain your path to becoming independent through living with your father rather than the family comparison.

Home / Undergraduate / Choosing Topic about meaningful Event (University of Florida Application)