Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Why I chose Biology - The Johns Hopkins Supplemental Essay

aa6877 5 / 29  
Hey everyone, I would appreciate any critiques or comments about my freshman applicant supplemental essay to Johns Hopkins University. Thanks!

-----------

Interest in molecular and cellular biology

My youngest brother is one of the most inquisitive children I have ever met. He never fails to amaze me with how much he wants to learn about the world. One day he asked me why children look like their parents, and I did my best to explain the concept of DNA. I still remember the spark of wonderment that lit his eyes as I spoke. I thought to myself: By the time he's an adult, scientists will already know so much more about the mysteries of life. Then, everything that we think is complex now will seem so simple. I wonder what it would be like to be one of the scientists responsible for making such discoveries?

In high school, I had the opportunity to learn about a number of different subjects, but the one that captivated me the most was Biology. As a child I had dreamed of being an astronomer and researching the vast, mysterious universe that we live in, but I realized later on that Biology was just as amazing. Earth's organisms never failed to enthrall me with their seemingly infinite complexity. I knew throughout high school, where I took GCE O-level and A-level science courses, that I wanted to be one of the researchers exploring the frontiers of science.

I plan on majoring in Biology if I get admitted into Johns Hopkins University, and by the end of my final year I hope to receive a Bachelors of Science Degree. The reason I decided to apply to Johns Hopkins was because of its high rank as a private university, its emphasis on extensive research, its dedicated faculty and student body, and its excellent, broad-based curriculum. Also, molecular and cellular biology are of great interest to me; this university's B.S. program in Biology is just what I was looking for. I feel that attending Johns Hopkins would put me on the right path to success.

Home / Undergraduate / Why I chose Biology - The Johns Hopkins Supplemental Essay