Why I chose Economics- Johns Hopkins Supplement

OppaOppa 1 / 3 2  
Some say that Math explains the universe. That stars, animals, populations, diseases, and everything else can be modeled by some function of "x". For me, Math has been an optic through which I view the world more clearly. In its most theoretical form, I see Math as the glue that holds together everything that we know. And in its most practical, I consider math to be the most versatile device in man's tool belt of knowledge.

As a subset of Mathematics, Economics has always intrigued me both in its uses and its implications. It is one of the greatest examples of the connections that lie between the social and natural sciences, a fact which had stirred my curiosity from a very early age. Economics takes the hypothetical scribbles that lie on graph paper and presents them in the real world. This is important for me, as I am someone who constantly looks for real, tangible results in my work.

Economics is also something I take very dear to my heart, as I know firsthand the consequences of financial disability. At the dinner table, my parents would always discuss the state of the family business, which had been hit hard by the recession. Even prior, it had never been an ideal source of income, and after, revenue was virtually nonexistent. Still, I was always at my computer, plugging away some graphs into Excel, calculating costs and profits, and helping as best I could with the finances.

Please provide the best criticisms you can!
imbue 6 / 24  
It looks pretty good, the only thing I would say is that maybe you should connect your interests back to Johns. How will an education at Johns help you fulfill your dreams? Why the economics program at Johns and not another school? To me, that would make your essay more convincing.

Good job overall, and good luck!
OP OppaOppa 1 / 3 2  
Thank you! I'll make sure to try to squeeze that in.

Any other opinions?
sailorjupiter 2 / 6  
I agree with the other poster. You need to go to the economics department at JHU and find out what's so great about it...maybe pick some econ project that the students at JHU did and tie it in to your essay...
OP OppaOppa 1 / 3 2  
Ok, but I'm at the word limit right now. What should I take out, you think?
sailorjupiter 2 / 6  
oh actually...if that's the word limit, its going to be difficult to add a couple of sentences on that..hmm in the JHU application, was there any place where you had to write why you picked JHU? If so, then it would be redundant to add it again in this essay..

Home / Undergraduate / Why I chose Economics- Johns Hopkins Supplement