"Christianity and Religion" experience/concept that intellectually excites you...

sonnofali 3 / 7  
Describe an experience that you have had or a concept you have learned about that intellectually excites you. When answering this question, you may want to consider some of the following questions: Why does this topic excite you? How does it impact the way you or others experience the world? What questions do you continue to ponder about it?

Growing up in a Christian family, it was a daily ritual to pray before every meal and account all occurrences to God with faith. Since the day I was born, I have attended church every Sunday with my family of six. My parents were strong believers and I followed, simply accepting what I was taught as the truth. Growing up in the church, I felt I knew Christianity inside and out.

Three years ago, I entered high school with the mentality that I knew it all. Though my peers were anxious, I began high school thinking I had everything set for me, confident in who I was and what I stood for. But unexpectedly, my faith and values growing up were challenged upon my entering high school.

Church had always been such a significant part of my life. My closest friends were always from church and they were the ones I would tell everything to; to me, they were my most reliable source of advice as we shared the same moral values. Sheltered by the guidance of my parents, I never encountered different religions until I reached high school. The friends I made opened my eyes to an entirely new world. One example includes when a Jewish friend of mine introduced me to his faith and beliefs. I remember being immediately intrigued by the differences in rituals and constantly asking questions whenever the opportunity arose.

Continuing through my sophomore year, I began opening my eyes to the various views of the world. I became interested by the different interpretations people had of religious ideas such as the Bible. From Arminianism to Calvinism, these different opinions brought me to challenge my leaders seeking answers and evidence for what they taught. I searched outside sources for a second judgment regarding other religions as well. My curiosity reached the point where I would stay up late researching Mormonism and Buddhism looking into their origins. I talked to many people, Christian and non-Christian, about why they believed what they did. In this journey of curiosity, doubt and uncertainty, I still found my original commitment as a Christian most sound. Confident in my beliefs, I began to take on leadership roles in my school's Christian Club as well as in my church's youth group.

To this day, I have remained steadfast. My new-found attitude towards life has allowed me to pursue my dreams with an open mind to the diversity of this world. It has brought me to a full understanding of other religions without such a jaded and protected mentality many young Christians today have. Though some may not see this as an "intellectual" impact, I feel religion is something anyone can take part in as long as they have the curiosity to search for the answers. For myself, I see Christianity and the Bible as a neverending opportunity for knowledge that challenges me beyond anything public school has offered me. My greatest hope is to study religions of all kinds in college to further my knowledge of what I have found to be the most significant aspect in my life-living a life for God.

I'm wondering if it addresses the prompt, I've had to manipulate it a bit to adjust it to different prompts so I may have mixed up somethings. I tend to read over the tense mistakes too.

Also, is this too controversial? I do not want to come off as close-minded or ignorant or anything like that since I know religion can be a controversial topic. It's all opinion, but I was hoping to emphasize the "intellectual" part more than the religious beliefs aspect of it.

Any questions/comments are welcome! Thank you for your time!
Continuing through my sophomore year, I began opening my mind to the various views of the world.

I became interested by the different interpretations people had of religious ideas such as those in the Bible.

From Arminianism to Calvinism, these different opinions brought me to challenge my religious leaders, seeking answers and evidence for what they taught.

I searched outside sources for a second opinion regarding other religions as well.

My curiosity reached the point where I would stay up late researching Mormonism and Buddhism, looking into their origins.

It has brought me to a full understanding of other religions without such a jaded and protected mentality many young Christians today have. ----This is great, there should be many more people like you.

For myself, I see Christianity and the Bible as a never ending opportunity for knowledge that challenges me beyond anything public school has offered me.

You don't come off as close minded or ignorant at all, quite the opposite! Good luck in school!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / "Christianity and Religion" experience/concept that intellectually excites you...