"Circle of Love" - Univ of Florida admission essay review on a meaningful event, experience ...

nayr 3 / -  
write a concise narrative in which you describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your family, your school or community activities, or your involvement in areas outside of school.

Circle of Love

November 15, 2006 will forever be engraved in my mind. It was the day I met Ricky, a four-year-old boy who was battling cancer. I met Ricky through a Circle of Love event at Broward General Hospital. And at the time, I had no idea that such a fleeting moment would impact my life so profoundly.

Ricky and I spent one afternoon together. We played games, built crafts, and enjoyed the day's festivities; and for a brief moment, I was able to numb Ricky's pain. When the afternoon first began, I could not help thinking how unfair life was that such a young boy would never grow up and enjoy many of life's experiences. But as the day progressed, Ricky made me forget all of those thoughts. He did not seem to think that he had been dealt a bad hand in life; he simply was grateful for each and every day he had. The day ended with a celebratory cake. Ricky was unable to eat the cake, but he knew his limitations and accepted them, which I thought was extremely admirable. At the end of the day, Ricky and I said our good-byes. I went on my way with a lump in my throat knowing that there was a good chance that Ricky would not be around for next year's event.

A few weeks later I received a thank-you note from Ricky expressing his gratitude for me coming to visit and playing with him. As I read it, I could not help but feel that I was the blessed one for having the chance to meet such an extraordinary individual. Who would have guessed that a four-year-old boy would teach me so much about life and myself.

This experience has forever changed me. I now look at life from a different view. Unlike others, I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to achieve a higher education. Earning a degree from the University of Florida has been one of my goals for as long as I can remember. I know it will not come easily, nothing worthwhile in life does, but through determination and perseverance I can achieve anything I put my mind to. I have learned to take advantage of every opportunity afforded me, and my college experience will be no exception. My experience with Ricky has taught me to continuously push myself because my potential is limitless. I have also learned the importance of giving back to others and the community, and I will continue to give back to the UF community as a student of the university. I will use my education to not only better myself, but to further help others. As Herbert Spencer once said, "The great aim of education is not knowledge but action."
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening.

I only have one comment:

"...enjoyed the day's festivities; for a brief moment, I was..."

This is a great response to the prompt; you give a specific reason for your answer, tell a relevant story, and close it up with a nice tight conclusion. Good work.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / "Circle of Love" - Univ of Florida admission essay review on a meaningful event, experience ...