Cite cases in which you thought/attemped in ways different from others & how it affected you.

ashes1 1 / 1  

An impact (essay for university application)

Please cite any cases in which you thought and/or made attempts in ways different from those of others and describe how such ideas and/or attempts affected you and people around you

Urdu, the native language of Pakistan, was not something you could afford to lack. That was my complication. I admired the English language ever since I was six when I started school. I was always in front of the TV, watching anything that contained a trace of English.

At the time, it seemed as if I was a prodigy. My family would praise me for being well versed in English. Unbeknownst to me, the scrutiny was about to begin. Having focused on English my whole life, I would read and write everything in English. Even the common Urdu words I'd write in English by making up my spellings. When I reached the sixth grade, my class fellows started making fun of me, calling me "Angraiz" (Foreigner), for going against the cultural norm. Even the teachers would join in, commenting on my inability to read and write in Urdu.

It seemed unreal how people could ridicule you for doing something different. But as time went on, it became more evident. The dislike of anything foreign has engulfed our society to the point that anything new is considered taboo. But, looking back, I'm glad I remained steadfast. Ignoring their petty remarks helped me develop confidence.

In a way, it prepared me for my future, where people would try their hardest to drag you down, and to overcome, you need to believe in yourself, you need strong support in the form of family and friends, and most importantly, stay confident, never let anyone bully you into changing who you are!
The presentation is admirable when it comes to the personal effect discussion. What happened to the discussion about how your steadfastness affected those around you? Reference to this at the start, in your childhood was made. Discuss this at present. Have things improved for you in the sense of how others view you? Why? Why not? Balance the discussion to allow a clear timeline reference to take place. The progression will bring more importance to your chosen topic. The development and changes can be used as a character evolution reference on your part. Depending on the max word requirement, there appears to be more room for presentation development. Utilize the opportunity to strengthen the presentation.
OP ashes1 1 / 1  
Thank you for the feedback, I'll start working on the points you mentioned.

Home / Undergraduate / Cite cases in which you thought/attemped in ways different from others & how it affected you.